Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Phantom smells

Re: Phantom smells

[QUOTE=flipp;1580426]
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Does anyone remember all the stuff by Admin about not getting upset and moving on? Just a tip.

You're not insane, Reb. None of us are on here, we wouldn't be on here if we because you wouldn't know.

Are you planning on talking to a GP about your anxiety? Seeing them about the context of the anxiety will just be more reassurance. By all means tell them the fears BUT don't allow them to start marching down the path of tests because they will simply side-line your anxiety issues and waste time & money to achieve nothing.[/QQU

Terry,you are right Reb or anyone of us is not insane.
    I just can't understand the mean things some people say to her,I know she posts a lot about her fears,but why keep on and on,maybe just don't entertain her,i t is obvious that you all have tried to give advice to no avail,so let it go she will find her way.

Spose I'll get a tongue lashing now for putting down how I feel.
    God damn you!

Not at all, we all have our opinions on this. I do want this person to get better, but I don't like the idea of her messing people around, that's all. It's in no way excusable to mess with people who, for the most part, have spent a fair bit of time trying to give you advice.

Some people, like me, get drawn into things like this, and if I'm being totally honest, I have no idea why I keep feeling the need to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Some people, like me, get drawn into things like this, and if I'm being totally honest, I have no idea why I keep feeling the need to comment.
    I think this applies to a lot of us to be honest.

Honestly I understand that I do.

I was originally worried about smells but realised I could it be because the office below was being painted so I left it. I then thought I could smell tobacco but turns out to be my boyfriend when he's not washed (he's clean, I promise!) but it's struck me again at work. I used tipex and then the half hour later could smell it. And then the smell wafted me yesterday too.

Are these phantom smells?

I guess that many of us post because we feel frustration as we know she could be helping herself to feel better. Of course there is the option to move on and ignore, then someone why doesn't know the post history answers in good faith and the cycle continues.
    Though it still continues when we answer so there is no progress there!

From a purely personal point of view, and maybe I shouldn't feel this way, I have got an issue with well meaning people, who are dealing with their own issues, being duped. I don't belong to other anxiety sites but I'll hold my hands up - after seeing it mentioned here, I had a look. When I see two completely different stories being given about the doctor appt, I feel annoyed, because people are being fed misinformation and that's unfair.

There has been repeated comments about certain other posters who have behaved in this manner, and who got a hard time. They seem to be doing well. Do we know they reacted to the "soft approach" or the "hard approach"? We don't, all we know is that something clicked in their brain. But unfortunately there are other members who behaved in the same manner who don't get mentioned, and who were deceitful, and making out they were at deaths door, people going through a terrible time responded to this poster. I know this person was deliberately deceiving, and you can blame the illness all you like, but there is a limit - and we all have to take some responsibility for our actions.

Although I'm sure that some will disagree. South Korea is looming for Reb. She has got support here. She needs to address her anxiety issues.

I've even spoken to my manager who used to be a nurse and she sort of laughed at me. She said its highly hoghly unlikely. She can't say no for sure but did say 100% unlikely. She said the room across the office is being done out so maybe that's why I smell what I do sometimes. She does too now and again. Probably being hypersensitive (definitely) I just freaked out because I could smell perfum, turns out someone had just sprayed.

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

Phantom phantom smells or true?

Quote Originally Posted by helenhoo View Post
    This sounds like the opening line of a poem...

It's just anxiety toying with you.
    Get some help and you'll be fine.
    Very few smells are a worrying sign.

[QUOTE=Gary A;1580427]
    Quote Originally Posted by flipp View Post

God damn you!

Not at all, we all have our opinions on this. I do want this person to get better, but I don't like the idea of her messing people around, that's all. It's in no way excusable to mess with people who, for the most part, have spent a fair bit of time trying to give you advice.

Gary, it's a situation that always reminds me of Lt Drebin...

Server, that did make me laugh

[QUOTE=flipp;1580426]
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Does anyone remember all the stuff by Admin about not getting upset and moving on? Just a tip.

You're not insane, Reb. None of us are on here, we wouldn't be on here if we because you wouldn't know.

Are you planning on talking to a GP about your anxiety? Seeing them about the context of the anxiety will just be more reassurance. By all means tell them the fears BUT don't allow them to start marching down the path of tests because they will simply side-line your anxiety issues and waste time & money to achieve nothing.[/QQU

Terry,you are right Reb or anyone of us is not insane.
    I just can't understand the mean things some people say to her,I know she posts a lot about her fears,but why keep on and on,maybe just don't entertain her,i t is obvious that you all have tried to give advice to no avail,so let it go she will find her way.

Spose I'll get a tongue lashing now for putting down how I feel.
    I'm with you, it's just not my way. Some appreciate it as they have said so but I personally struggle with it when it's strangers, my mum & dad I would take it from but no one else. I've been terrible for avoidance but because I don't talk about it, the frustration is purely my own.

Some people get more emotionally invested too. You're right though, sometimes it's just up to the other person to admit it enough to themselves to take action.

---------- Post added at 12:20 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    This sounds like the opening line of a poem...

It's just anxiety toying with you.
    Get some help and you'll be fine.
    Very few smells are a worrying sign.
    Phantom phantom smells would seem like disappearing even further down the rabbit hole!

Why does the Internet tell us that phantom smells are signs on a Brain tumour?

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

There is work being done across the Hall and across the road. How long would a true phantom smell last? I'm so close to heading to A&E for a mri

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information