Thread: Mirtazapine/Sertraline/Valium - Severe Generalised Anxiety

Mirtazapine/Sertraline/Valium - Severe Generalised Anxiety

Hi Everyone!

I'm am relatively new here. Have been taking Sertraline (100mg) for around 10 years. Recently my anxiety coupled with panic attacks have been through the roof (for about the last 3 weeks). I was prescribed 5mg of valium for one week from my psychiatrist to see if this would allow me to calm down at all. I was allowed to take 2mg through the day if needed, but because I am worried about taking it because of tolerance etc, I decided to tough out the anxiety. This would leave me in tears by the end of the day and almost frantic with anxiety at night. I have two children to look after that are around 10 so I am trying to function without them noticing too much if that makes sense. I went back to the psychiatrist today and he has prescribed 7.5mg of Mirtazapine at night with 2.5mg of valium. He then advised to take the other 2.5mg during the next day if I feel I needed it due to anxiety. I have a family outing planned for tomorrow, and am more than a little shitting myself about what state I am going to be in with taking the Mirtazapine for the first time. The psych has reassured me that valium and mirtazapine are safe to take together at night as they act differently on different parts of the brain. I have checked and double checked with him as I am a nervous wreck at the moment. How have others tolerated the 7.5mg of mirtazapine. I am doing this for a week and then he is going to try and get me off the sertraline as he doesn't think it is working anymore. Any advice on how others have felt on mirtazapine would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Tracy

Re: Mirtazapine/Sertraline/Valium - Severe Generalised Anxiety

Hi Mermaid16,

Anxiety in general can turn around and focus on whether or not to take new medications designed to fix it - it's a counter-productive situation. I think it is best to trust your psychiatrist here. The mirtazapine has a good chance of working, and diazepam is often prescribed when starting up as it can take two to four weeks for the mirtazapine to have an effect on anxiety. Mirtazapine can have a rapid effect on sleep. This can be a great relief, or carry through into daytime sleepiness. If you have daytime sleepiness, it does clear up in a week or so.
    Last edited by hanshan; 06-08-16 at 11:12.

Thank you for your advice. My daughter has a tummy bug and has been up during the night so I am still yet to take it. Although I need to. I am in tears nearly all day with anxiety and so irritable. I will try tomorrow night as the kids will be with their Dad. Fingers crossed I get some relief. I need it. Thanks again x

Hi Flipp! Would you mind if I ask what dosages you are on? Thanks for your reply. Did you mean you took the Diaz with the mirt on the third night. Thanks heaps. Tracy x

Thanks everyone for your replies. They are greatly appreciated. xx

Thread Information