Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirtazapine and mental blocks

Mirtazapine and mental blocks

I've been on Mirtazapine 15mg for almost 6 months. Since being on it I've developed a lot of mental blocks and it's only now I'm slowly able to overcome them, though not without great effort. Things I had no problems with at all, such as walking not even a mile away from my flat or car I've found virtually impossible as I'm plagued by nausea, yes that despite Mirtazapine supposedly being antiemetic, etc. I'll still get exercise, but it will almost always be within a short distance. I'm thinking of tapering them off in the next month, see if that helps.

Has anybody else experienced blocks (almost phobias) since being on this drug? Thank you in advance.

Re: Mirtazapine and mental blocks

I've been persuaded to keep at them, not taper off. It makes sense if I'm reaching the point that I'm noticing improvements. My contention is that I really don't know if I'd have been so incapable of doing very easy things if I hadn't been put on it.

Do you think it's made things worse? If so, maybe a review of meds with the doctor? The Mirt certainly didn't get me to recovery, unfortunately. Thing is, you're still only on a really low dose which is more sedating and may be more incapacitating than a higher dose?

Was hoping your absence meant you were doing great :(

Oh hi Sharon, good to hear from you.

I've been having sneaky peaks at my nmp friends, but yes I am on the mend. As well as being on the mirt a few months I'm having to make healthier food choices (no bad thing), and I'm also trying to make headway with a so called love situation, about which triggered this illness. Basically I'm trying to take back control, but work in progress.

As for the dosage, I went back to the doctors early ish June with that summer onset SAD, I told him then about these awful mental blocks. He suggested upping the dosage by half a tablet a night, but for the second time of trying that I had to stop after 2-3 weeks because my poor stomach couldn't tolerate it.

It's interesting what you say about sedating, that's another reason for considering maybe withdrawing as I do have moments of tiredness, despite not doing a whole lot (still not working, though I'm looking into reception work at a place at the end of my road), and sleeping well.

But with everything we have to weigh it up. I've not had the weightgain, if anything the opposite because I'm having to be more careful. But we ladies don't like putting it on, do we?

I hope you're well, Sharon. Joy came over again last week, bringing beautiful flowers, so thoughtful. She's still very well, but owes it all, for now, on mirt 30mg and venlafaxine, I think 150mg (I hope she won't mind my saying that).

Take care.
    Last edited by LittleMissAlone; 06-08-16 at 08:50.

It's very hard to know what to do for the best re meds. I know for me all the meds under the sun wouldn't help and I have to take the psychological route. I've given a variety of meds a good go over the past 20 years or so though. For people helped by meds all well and good but I think the jury's out on long term usage.

I'm glad I took the decision to come off meds as I saw no benefit so what was the point? It's very different if you see a notable improvement though. Maybe when things are more settled in your personal life you will be able to make a decision re the mirt? You are obviously making progress but this is probably because you are psychologically stronger.

Hi Pulisa

Yes, it's all about coping strategies, and just accepting this is the way you are. I was extremely reluctant to go on the meds back in October, had a terrible time on sertraline, started on mirt just before Christmas, came off in New Year, and then finally went back on them again from mid February onwards.

Pulisa, you strike me as being a very sound and knowledgable lady, offering thoughtful and insightful advice to us poor souls flailing about with this awful condition. I don't intend to be on meds forever, and I'm glad I'm on the lowest therapeutic dose.

I always think of my friend currently on tablets and with a family history of depression, she says without drugs her brother wouldn't be with us. So they definitely can't be dismissed.

Hoping things good with you too.

No they certainly have their place. I'm just one of you though and have certainly experienced anxiety to the point of NHS hospitalisation in terms of physical symptoms making me unable to function.

I'm currently emerging from about a year of constant agitation so I feel a lot clearer and stronger about things in my life myself. Don't know how long it will last but I intend to make the most of it! Could be the fact that I am finally having some psychological help with my daughter.

Life circumstances can make a difference and sometimes make no difference at all. I think being on the lowest therapeutic dose is a good option as you continue to progress well. You should give yourself some credit for what you have achieved x

Oh bless you, thanks so much, means a lot.

You mentioned this psychological help, being psychologically stronger earlier. What you mean by it?

I just meant that I have a bit of a "just get on with it" mindset and don't analyse symptoms too much. Personally I don't think it's helpful to link symptoms to physical conditions such as CFS for example. I just know the basics and don't immerse myself in too much psychological debate/theories.

My daughter has been having weekly ACT therapy since May and it's been reassuring to know that the psychologist fully backs up the way I have been trying to support my daughter-having the extra confidence in my abilities as a carer has helped me feel better as a whole and having backup in her care is something I've not previously had.

So for me improved life circumstances have helped and I hope this soon becomes the case with you, LMA. Having the support and friendship of Joy will also be very beneficial-especially in "real life". People can really drag you down if they are negative and only want to use you for what you can give them. Joy sounds a lovely lady and I'm pleased that she has moved on from NMP and made such encouraging progress-meds have certainly helped her get this far.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissAlone View Post
    Oh hi Sharon, good to hear from you.

I've been having sneaky peaks at my nmp friends, but yes I am on the mend. As well as being on the mirt a few months I'm having to make healthier food choices (no bad thing), and I'm also trying to make headway with a so called love situation, about which triggered this illness. Basically I'm trying to take back control, but work in progress.

As for the dosage, I went back to the doctors early ish June with that summer onset SAD, I told him then about these awful mental blocks. He suggested upping the dosage by half a tablet a night, but for the second time of trying that I had to stop after 2-3 weeks because my poor stomach couldn't tolerate it.

It's interesting what you say about sedating, that's another reason for considering maybe withdrawing as I do have moments of tiredness, despite not doing a whole lot (still not working, though I'm looking into reception work at a place at the end of my road), and sleeping well.

But with everything we have to weigh it up. I've not had the weightgain, if anything the opposite because I'm having to be more careful. But we ladies don't like putting it on, do we?

I hope you're well, Sharon. Joy came over again last week, bringing beautiful flowers, so thoughtful. She's still very well, but owes it all, for now, on mirt 30mg and venlafaxine, I think 150mg (I hope she won't mind my saying that).

Take care.
    I'm glad you're in touch with Joy, she really seemed lovely and great to know she is doing so well on the med combination I am on.

I'm still very up and down, not as bad as before but still struggling to be honest. I guess I've ended up with my life becoming very small in the past months and I have a lot of spare time on my hands but little motivation/energy to do much of anything. Constantly very fatigued as well.

We've had our first real wintery blast these past few days (it's been a mild winter) and had snow and now freezing temperatures (-3 when I got up this morning!). Putting off taking the dogs out as yesterday I did a bit of a slide down the hill in the car which was a bit terrifying to say the least.

I just increased my venlafaxine on Friday to 112.5. I did 4 weeks on 75 and had a patch where I was starting to feel a bit better and then had a few really bad days of feeling incapacitated and then back to a bit better again. So frustrating!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information