Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breathing issue - scared

Breathing issue - scared

I suffer with "air hunger" as a lot of us anxiety sufferers do. However, lately I have been struggling to get a breath and really have to force it.
    Starting a few weeks ago, I noticed a strange involuntarily in take of breath that happens randomly and sounds like after you've been crying hard and you do a shuddering or double breath.

Anyway, I put it down to anxiety air hunger, then a week or so ago it happened when I woke up in the morning - the first breath I took (while I was still semi conscious) was a shudder/double breath. Now every morning since then it has happened. During the day I am doing similar big breaths and occasionally shuddering, sometimes sighing.
    Now my voice is slightly hoarse when talking and specifically on certain letters, it kind of trails off.
    I'm a 'mouth breather' as my sinuses are always blocked. My exhale seems longer than it should be & I always feel slightly bloated/full after eating.

Can anyone help me? I'm scared I will stop breathing in my sleep & there's something really wrong with my lungs.
    Last edited by GirlAfraid23; 06-08-16 at 16:09.

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Breathing issue - scared

Shameful double post but feeling scared tonight. Can anyone help?

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

I know everyone seems sick of people asking questions, but I can feel my horrible health anxiety raising its ugly head again.

- Emily Brontė

I've never experienced this air hunger before, but a few times last year I did forget to inhale a whilst dozing off and I woke up its a 'gasp'. Was scary but hasn't happened in quitr a while. I think when our bodies are very stressed they can act in strange ways.

It's not quite a gasp but more of a shuddering intake of breath. Almost like a double breath similar to after you've been crying.

- Emily Brontė

You won't just stop breathing in your sleep think rationally

Ok thanks for your replies.

I feel like I need to use a lot of effort to take a deep breath, especially when lying back and reclining or lying down.
    On exertion I feel quite short of breath too but don't know if it's psychological.

The main worry at the moment is the involuntarily shuddering breath when waking up in the morning

Does anyone else have any other ideas what it might be? Hiatus Hernia or Acid reflux are the rational thoughts but I'm worrying there's something more sinister.

- Emily Brontė

Ok my first thought is you are probably thinking too much about it and overly focused on your breath. But my second thought is - if your sinuses are always blocked, could it be related? I have terrible allergies, although have come a long way with allergy shots, and when they act up sometimes I have wheezing and other changes to my breathing.

I am no doctor, but from my experience I would think that it may be just your sinuses/allergies, and your body is making you get more air via the longer deeper breath, and anxiety is making it worse and you are now focused on it more, so it seems worse. I myself have done this type of deep inhalation these past few months, since I have started on my own bout of HA. Through out the day I would have these almost involuntary deep breaths and at first it was worrysome, but then I noticed when I was more relaxed and less anxious, the problem lessened. Hope this helps.

I still can't breathe properly today and this morning guess what? Yep, I woke up with that same breath, it's so odd. It feels nice because I know I'm getting a decent breath of oxygen but why does it come so unnaturally? I feel like I need to take a full breath every few seconds or I will suffocate.
    I'm now concerned it's a pulmonary embolism or collapsed lung or something. God, I thought these health anxieties were over!
    Does anyone think I should go to the walk in?
    Last edited by GirlAfraid23; 07-08-16 at 22:46.

- Emily Brontė

I don't mean to keep on as it were, but this breathing issue continues.
    I'm in such a panicked state I'm shaking and having muscles twitching all over. Scared to sleep tonight.
    Can anyone else offer any advice or reassurance?

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Please guys! I desperately need you tonight.

- Emily Brontė

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information