Thread: Colon cancer fear!

Colon cancer fear!

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have been having some troubling symptoms that have set my HA in full swing. I'm am a 26 year old male with no history of colon cancer and have had GAD, HA and social anxiety since i was a child. Earlier this year I noticed my stool had become flattened, sometimes pencil thin other times 1/2" thick by 1" wide , but still flat! A few months ago I also began to get the sensation that something is stuck in my rectum, which still persists today. I went to my gp who told me to up my fiber intake. This however, failed to work. I was then sent to GI who did some blood work and an x ray, said I was slightly backed up and told me to take mirilax. That didn't work either. I then developed all sorts of random abdominal pains and fatigue fallowed by lack of appetite and weight loss, which sent me into a an even deeper HA scare, and possibly depression. The lack of appetite and weight loss eventually slowed down, but nevertheless I called the GI and expressed my concerns, she said she was not concerned but would schedule a colonoscopy for piece of mind (not until October 26 :( ), and sent me back to my gp who had prescribed me antidepressants, and said that this is all just anxiety. Fast forward to today and I'm still experiencing flat stool 99% of the time. I've read that this could just be from loose stool, however mine aren't always loose and are frequently a number 3 or 4 on the bristol scale (consistency only). I'm completely beside myself with fear! Is there anyone who experiences this on a frequent basis who doesn't have colon cancer?

Re: Colon cancer fear!

You're pretty young to worry about colon cancer. Odd-shaped stools can be from IBS, which a lot of times is caused from stress and anxiety. Rest easy, my man; October will be here before you know it.

I've really been hoping that ibs is the culprit, but it's hard to stay positive with this anxiety looming. Hopefully these antidepressants kick in and calm me down a bit. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Colon cancer before 40, especially without family history, is extremely rare.

There can be other things in the rectum that make pencil-thin stools: internal hemorrhoids or a local abscess (a collection of pus).

A doctor would need to check your rectum with an endoscope to find an actual physical narrowing. I encourage you to ask for that. Again, it's extremely unlikely to be a cancer.

Maybe with all the HA and stress you are having you are putting way too much stress on your digestive system which may be causing the muscles in the intestines the rectum and bum to tense up causing the bms you are having your gp doesn't seem too overly concerned and if they did suspect anything sinister I'm sure they would have got you on some sort of emergency referal colonoscopy appointmant. HA definitely makes you think that things are present when they are not whenever I get HA I truly believe I feel tumors in my abdomen,groin,neck,back etc etc even if I prod at something I will have a weird pain sensation in the very same spot for days after making me worried to touch it again just in case I feel a lump. Sometimes when I'm driving i definitely feel a lump in my lower left abdomen only to adjust my seatbelt and the sensation is gone.
    Sometimes we can be our own worse enemy try to figure out how to control your stress levels and things will slowly start falling back into place do not expect anything to resolve itself overnight it took me over 4 months to get back to normal and even still I get my moments of impending doom. All the best

I hAve gone in for stomach problems they told me colon cancer is very rare before age 50.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

I agree I am always pushing on my body to find things. HA PLAYS tricks on you body and mind.

Thread Information