Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guinea pigs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guinea pigs

Hi guys.
    Any of you own piggies? I'm confused about my piggies behaviour. His name is custard and he's a darling. He's very sociable and likes to come out and play. He seems healthy and happy but I'm wondering about the noises he makes and what he's asking me for. He's an indoor piggy and every time I go in the room he squeaks at the top of his voice. He's got food and water and some hay and toys but he just squeaks constantly. It makes me feel bad cos I know he must he asking me something. Any ideas?
    P.S he's a lone piggy.
    Kez xx

Re: Guinea pigs

I had them growing up and my daughter currently has two of them. My feeling on that is he wants to be out of his cage and with you

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Yeah that's what I thought. He does like a cuddle. Problem is if he's out too long he poos and wees on me lol. His friend died when they were babies so I guess he's feeling a bit lonely cos I know they like to be in pairs x

I would say that he associates you with giving him food so that as soon as he sees/hears you he will "wheek" for food-it doesn't matter that he already has some as g pigs will always want more and graze all day on hay.

It's good that he's so responsive to you. If he were lonely and depressed he would be hiding in his cage and not keen on interacting. I have 3 indoor g pigs-if I open the fridge door they make a hell of a din. They also have a very set feeding schedule and I'm sure they can tell the time!

Thanks pulisa. What treats do you give them?

Mine get fresh veg twice a day-all low calcium stuff to avoid bladder stones. They have a very small amount of excel guinea pig mix and masses of timothy hay. I bring some grass in from the garden for them too. They never have pet shop treats as they are full of sugar!

Hahahaha, you've got my interest now. I trained with Vedra Stanley-Spatcher at the Cambridge Cavy Trust, I'm chairman of the Canterbury & Coast Cavy Club and I write regular articles for Guinea Pig Magazine as well as being on their panel of experts.

Guinea pigs are very sociable animals so it is always best to keep them in either same sex pairs or a neutered boar with one or more sows. Are you able to get a friend for custard as that would keep him occupied and stop him thinking about food so much? He associates you with food so every time he sees you he thinks he's going to get fed, especially if you give him "treats" outside of his normal feeding times. Does he ever get to go outside for exercise in a garden or grass run? Guinea pigs are very intelligent animals and get bored easily so it is no surprise that he's wheeking - imagine being shut in a cage 24/7, wouldn't you be wanting to come out?

Hay should be available 24/7 and should make up 80% of the diet - it keeps the teeth in good order, aids digestion and acts as a boredom breaker. They simply cannot do without it.

So I would suggest getting him a friend, not feeding treats outside of his mealtimes, more exercise, more hay.

I'm pleased you saw this Mojo as I know you're very Cavy Savvy! I didn't realise you were quite such an Authority though so I will be coming to you with questions about bladder stone prevention!! Filtered water and low calcium veg appear to be helping so far and I've always followed the unlimited hay (not alfafa) regime!

Guinea pig mad, that's me lol.

Do you have issues with stones in your pigs then Pulisa?

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

It is very important not to completely eliminate calcium from the diet as this can lead to hypocalcaemia. Getting the correct calcium/phosphorus/magnesium level is vital if you want to avoid renal issues too.

Only with one who has always been on a low calcium diet. The filtered water is a new thing though brought in after the surgery. Our water is very hard. I see you are a Rodent Health Advisor-how great!! I love gerbils too but have kept cavies for years-I haven't got your Prestige though but know all about the CCT and how it was held in high esteem by exotic vets. I've been around the block with my pigs over the years!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information