Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guinea pigs

Re: Guinea pigs

Pulisa is correct, but be prepared for lots of chasing around and mounting each other. This is normal and shouldn't be mistaken for aggression.

Signs of aggression: teeth chattering, "squaring" up to each other, raised hackles, teeth baring, lunging at each other. This is extremely unlikely with a baby, I've never seen an adult attack a baby in over 45 years of keeping piggies, but if it does happen at a later date never, ever, try to separate them by attempting to pick them up because you will get a very nasty bite. Instead you should try to part them with something like a dustpan or rolled up newspaper and leave them to calm down separately for about half an hour before handling them again.

Personally I'm not a fan of neutering unless absolutely necessary (testicular cancer for instance, or when every attempt to paint them with a same sex piggy has failed) because they don't deal with anaesthesia and surgery at all well, and to be perfectly honest there aren't many vets who I would trust to operate on my pigs, they just don't have the experience.

I'm lucky in that I use an exotics and guinea pig savvy vet who is not that far away but I still wouldn't opt for castration now unless for medical reasons. I know people tend to opt for a female pairing but I've always enjoyed having 2 males as they've mostly got great characters!

I prefer boars to sows. Those sows can be moody mares at the best of times lol!

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I'm lucky in that I use an exotics and guinea pig savvy vet who is not that far away but I still wouldn't opt for castration now unless for medical reasons. I know people tend to opt for a female pairing but I've always enjoyed having 2 males as they've mostly got great characters!
    Who is that vet if you don't mind me asking. Not Amir Khashiv by any chance is it?

Quote Originally Posted by shotokansho View Post
    Awww bless. Hope they have a fab birthday!!!! Custard isn't 1 yet x
    Thank You!

Custard will still be pretty hormonal. They say that males calm down once past the 14 months mark but my feisty male at 2 is still pretty fired up! All the more reason to choose a young baby and not an "adolescent" pig who could be viewed as an "intruder"

I get ya. Thanks guys I'll defo be getting custard a friend, hopefully he'll be a lot quieter.
    Something else I've noticed with him...he gets highly excitable when I put his hay in, he actually jumps in the air and hops and runs all over his cage...quite comical lol.
    How do you know if a piggy is upset? Also I've heard they don't show pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo61 View Post
    I prefer boars to sows. Those sows can be moody mares at the best of times lol!

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Who is that vet if you don't mind me asking. Not Amir Khashiv by any chance is it?
    Anne O'Meara at Goddard's Practice, Ewell. Surrey. People come from miles away to see her apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My current pair are 2 years old today and one is particularly feisty but there is always a dominant pig and a submissive one. Happy Birthday Fergus and Zebedee!
    Happy birthday Fergus & Zebedde!!!

...and not forgetting, best wishes to Mandril too!

Thank you Terry! "Mandy" is doing well after his bladder stone removal-no sign of a recurrence yet!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information