Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guinea pigs

Re: Guinea pigs

Have you heard of the Ratewatchers Diet? It is very good for pigs with urinary/stone issues as it is low in calcium whist also maintaining the correct cal/phos ratio :

http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/ratewatchers/

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo61 View Post
    Have you heard of the Ratewatchers Diet? It is very good for pigs with urinary/stone issues as it is low in calcium whist also maintaining the correct cal/phos ratio :

I could do with losing a stone. Does this mean eating hay will help me?

I think the OP can't go wrong here, another piggy! Love the name, Custard, too.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 14-08-16 at 10:24.

Guinea pig mad, that's me lol.

Do you have issues with stones in your pigs then Pulisa?

---------- Post added at 09:45 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

It is very important not to completely eliminate calcium from the diet as this can lead to hypocalcaemia. Getting the correct calcium/phosphorus/magnesium level is vital if you want to avoid renal issues too.
    Yes, I'm aware of this too. I've studied the guinea lynx charts in detail and still include fresh greens etc. It's become a bit of a "thing" with me as I'm really worried that I'll get something wrong...

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Yes, I've seen this. I'm a member of "the guinea pig forum" and look at the guinea lynx stuff. I find the guinea pig forum to be a bit obsessive though.

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    I could do with losing a stone. Does this mean eating hay will help me?

I think the OP can't go wrong here, another piggy! Love the name, Custard, too.
    Depends on whether Custard is male or female though. Males are tricky to pair up as adults.......

Hello there.
    Wow so many replies. Custard is a boy. He did have a friend I bought two boys together but his friend died quite quickly. I was unsure about putting another piggy in there with him as I heard they were territorial and they can fight?? I do get him out as often as I can but he sometimes bites so my son won't play with him for long. He also gets out on the grass. I love him to bits and just wanted to make sure he was happy.
    P.S he's called custard because he looks like a custard cream lol

He will be fine with a baby boar as an adult won't attack a baby.

You could call the new piggy Bourbon or Garibaldi?!

Just make sure you get the new baby pig properly sexed-mistakes have been known to happen..

Ok thanks for that I'll try and find him a friend, I was really worried about putting another in there with him because he's quite confident and bolshy. Would I have to introduce them slowly or can I put the new one straight in? Was also wondering about a girl one and getting custard done or is that to risky?
    Haha thanks for the name suggestions pulisa I like bourbon xx

Or a whitish one called cream. Or a reddish brown one called rhubarb.

Mojo is the expert on this but I would suggest introducing them on "neutral" territory and definitely away from Custard's current living quarters. Watch them carefully-there will be a lot of sniffing/examining the new baby but this is quite normal. You will have to watch them closely to begin with when they are put back together into their hutch/cage but things should be fine if you choose a young male baby (from 6 weeks of age-from 12 weeks of age or so things can be a bit more tricky with puberty etc)

Castration is not routine and there can be complications. You would also have to wait at least 6 weeks for the op to be effective. A neutered male and 1 or2 females is always a good mix though.

Personally I've gone for the 2 males pairing. There have sometimes been bonding issues but I've never had to separate mine. My current pair are 2 years old today and one is particularly feisty but there is always a dominant pig and a submissive one. Happy Birthday Fergus and Zebedee!

Awww bless. Hope they have a fab birthday!!!! Custard isn't 1 yet x

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information