Thread: Severe plane phobia with a very long flight coming up

Severe plane phobia with a very long flight coming up

I have had panic attacks/phobias of planes for years. First I didn't fly at all, then finally, after both hypnosis and meds (Xanax) I do fly on occasion now, although still terrified. There is a trip that i have saved up for that is the longest plane flight I've taken so far, 10-12 hours, and my friend recently told me she would be unable to go. I have two huge fears about this now solo trip: first, I can distract myself for short periods of time but how for that long? (Sleep isn't an option) the second and more pressung concern is that there will be a stop over, and normally I am somewhat out of it/groggy (from the meds) and I let my flight companion lead and just follow them. I will be unable to this time and am terrified of telling the flight attendants this and possibly not being allowed on the second plane. I am getting more and more nervous about these two things and thought I would see if anyone has any possible solutions, thanks.

Re: Severe plane phobia with a very long flight coming up

Email the airline in advance and write down Your fears to them about this long haul flight. Include the date and time/flight number too. They may get back to you with some advice and endure a flight attendant is aware of your worries and you'll be kept an eye on during the flight. If not, when you are boarding, tell an attendant you are nervous and anxious about the flight. Tell them you've not travelled solo for this length of time before and you have a phobia of flying. I can guarantee they will offer you some reassuring advice and will come up to you during your flight to check on you regularly. They have dealt with this many times before and they fly thousands of miles every week remember. Let their confidence reassure you.
    Regards to helping yourself, I also hate flying and try and keep my eyes shut for as much of the flight as possible. I can never sleep, but I do try and 'zone out' and try my best to think of other things. Maybe some relaxing, classical music would help? I enjoy a bit of classical music when I'm anxious. Take the time in chunks - a quarter of the way there, half way there, 3/4 of the way there etc. Stay hydrated and sip water if you don't want to feel groggy.
    Good luck xx

Thanks Carrie! I will make sure the flight attendants know before I get on the plane. Distraction while in the air is key.

Oh I needed to see this!!!
    I am taking my very first flight ever from New York to California to see my son when he returns from Marine military deployment on Saturday I am so paralyzed with fear that, not to be gross, I'm sick to my stomach I feel dizzy, I have diarrhea, I'm just an absolute mess
    I have downloaded some new comedy skits on my phone and uploaded a bunch of new songs etc. I'm just so terrified that Xanax is not going to do the trick.

When I tell you I am paralyzed by fear, I'm afraid that I'm going to sit on that plane and cry the entire trip

Hi Shelley - have you taken Xanax before? It does help with panic attacks, or at least has with mine. My only issue with it has been that I am groggy and out of sorts when I get to my destination and it takes me awhile to recover. I have missed out on some things this way, like the first day of trips/tours, but at least it allows me to fly.

To update my current situation, I'm about a month away from my flight. A friend of mine has offered to come one way with me so that she can go on vacation in another city. The catch is that it's not the city that my tour starts from, so I would have to take yet another (although short flight) or very long train trip. I am weighing the options now - I would have someone with me for the 10-12 hour flight there but then I would spend a day and a half in another city before needing to travel again. It would be very nice to have companionship on the way over, I'm just really unsure if it's what I should be doing though.

Thread Information