Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cit to ven help

Re: Cit to ven help

You're a star! Came off the seroquel last night and felt a bit of a sore head but now I've got dizziness and that's before I start the taper!

You might just be dizzy from anxiety. That's something I have had with it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Shazamataz View Post
    I'm doing a bit better. Actually a lot better I suppose, but still a long way to go. I've been two weeks on my current dose and expect things to still be a bit up and down.

I just remembered another thing I experienced starting ven was quite bad dizziness in the evenings. I take my ven at lunchtime for no other reason than when I started it I was so nervous about how it would make me feel I wanted to take my dogs out first and then take the plunge. The dizziness came 5 hours after taking it and lasted about 4 hours, which is why I continued with the lunchtime taking. Dizziness mostly disappeared about 4 weeks in.

Good luck!
    That's probably when it was reaching it's peak, Shaz.

---------- Post added at 09:51 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Debs21uk View Post
    I'm really not sure how a cross taper works whether I'll get withdrawals and start up effects?!
    This shows the guidelines:

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepa...?ID=1651179592

As you can see with yours, they go for a withdrawal then start up method. They do cross taper with plenty of the SSRI's (withdrawing Fluoxetine must have a 7 day "wash out" period though due to it's very long half life) but they tend to withdraw the old one before Ven because of the fact it reaches it's steady-state (as much going in as coming out) at 3 days due to it's shorter half life.

With longer half life SSRI's like your Cit, it means there is an overlap. Whilst SSRI's can affect more neurotransmitters than Serotonin alone, the majority of the impact is on that neurotransmitter so theoretically it should be topping you up as the old one is reducing. This should reduce side effects when compared to a complete withdrawal and start up but it's always too individual to ever say since some meds don't seem to suit some people.

When they completely withdraw a SSRI, the new one starts the new day (except with the Fluoxetine withdrawal combination) and because a med like Cit has a half life of 36 hours, you will get an overlap. Drug elimination takes much longer than 2x it's half life anyway as it's slowing down at a rate of 50% each half life (e.g. 1 half = 50% med active, 2 half lives = 25%, 3 half lives = 12.5%, etc).

Hello @debs21uk. I hope you are getting on ok with your meds change over. I saw your post and wanted to give you a positive story. A friend of mine has recently switched over from citalopram to venlafaxine and she had no issues at all. She had been taking citalopram for years and felt it wasn't really working anymore. She has been off work for a year now as her depression/anxiety had gotten so bad. After 3 months on venlafaxine 150mg she is feeling a significant improvement, so much so that she is returning to work (she has also been receiving psychotherapy for 2 months now).

My own experience of venlafaxine is generally good too. The only side effect I have is night sweats, and if I miss even one dose I feel very strange. I initially started off at 150mg about 12 years ago, 5 years later it was increased to 185.5mg, and 4 months ago I had to go up again to 220mg. I don't know if this is because your body adapts to it too much and it becomes less effective.

Anyway, hope you are getting on ok.

Thanks for your positive story Katy, it's very much appreciated. I'm now not sure what I am moving on to next as I thought it might be best to see what the psychiatrist says. I won't see her for a couple of weeks so in the meantime I am reducing the citalopram as my GP thinks I could try escitalopram but I worry it may be too similar to citalopram to work.

I am in a similar situation to your friend having my life come to a stand still with the anxiety and depression so it's good to hear we can get back to "normality". Did your friend cross taper or did she withdraw from the cit first?

Hi Debs, sorry for my late reply. I only joined NMP last week and I'm new to forums.

My friend cross tapered the citalopram and venlafaxine. I'm not sure what her normal dose of cit was, but she reduced it for 2 weeks, then reduced it again and began the venlafaxine. I think she took them both together for two more weeks before stopping the citalopram altogether. It really has been very beneficial for her. I hope you find something that works well for you soon. I know how awful it is when your life becomes completely ruled by anxiety and depression.

After seeing my psych I'm just starting the switch over from today. I hope it goes okay as I've had a really bad last few months. Does anyone know if it should be taken with food? I have the xl version and the pharmacist hasn't put in the info leaflet. Also anyone feel it's better to take in the morning or at night?

Hi Debs, it's the xl type I'm on too. I take 150mg in the morning and then my 75mg at night. When I initially started it I was only on 150mg and the CPN I had time advised me to take it in the morning. I'm not very good at eating in the morning so I always take it on an empty stomach and have never had in issues. I don't think it matters too much whether you take it with food or not. Good luck with it.

Hmmm not sure what to do as I usually take my celexa at night so don't really want to take them at different times. Did it make you drowsy at all?

I've never had any drowsiness with venlafaxine. The only symptom I notice is night sweats. And if you are on the xl type try very hard not to miss a dose, it can make you feel really weird if you do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information