Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swallowing and Anxiety?? Or what..

Question Swallowing and Anxiety?? Or what..

I tried searching old threads for help before posting but I didn't find much on the subject.. Although I always have trouble with the search engine on here I feel like I never find what I'm looking for.

Anyways, swallowing. So for the last few weeks I feel like I've had this swallowing issue. It doesn't hurt but it just feels like like I need to do it excessively and once I start I keep doing it and it frustrates the hell outta me. I often feel like I have dry mouth too which makes me swallow. I'm not sure what kicks off the whole thing but it just comes on all of a sudden and then it's a swallowing frenzy.. Oh an some throat clearing. I'm not sure if it's that I feel like I have mucus or something in my throat but just sometimes feels like there's something there. I've been through the scary assumptions like throat cancer, tonsil cancer, mouth cancer & esphougeus cancer like I don't know.... I feel like I don't have the risk factors for that like I don drink heavily just on occasion and I don't smoke cigarettes.. Ive heard of a young girl getting the esphougeus one before I think.. Aside from that I read about that globus thing with anxiety and I've wondered and hoped that's all it is but I'm not sure.
    When I'm doing something that takes up my attention I forget about it.. But then I swallow once consciously and its downhill from there. Could it even be one of those things like if you focus on blinking it makes that whole process feel crazy type situations? I don't have trouble eating or drinking liquids.. I don't think it's allergies yet because it's still summer and it's been warm & muggy out. I have a window air conditioner that's on mostly 24/7 so maybe that?? Just trying to think of other things!
    Just looking for advice and similar stories? Trying not to focus on the scary possibilities :(

Re: Swallowing and Anxiety?? Or what..

I've had exactly the same thing for the past several days. It went away when I was distracted, so my guess it's seasonal allergies (perhaps?) and our constant focus on it.

Minivil- at least yours only lasted a few days! I swear my issue have been around a few weeks but I know I'm making a point to think about it.. Maybe allergies I just wonder what exactl it is that's causing The allergies this time of year? Hmm. All I know is if I'm totally distracted by other things I feel fine. I do notice a dry throat/mouth feeling though which I'm sure triggers the swallowing.
    But thanks for your reply.. I did wanna know if others experienced anything similar to this and was okay!

---------- Post added 19-08-16 at 01:46 ---------- Previous post was 18-08-16 at 22:26 ----------

It definitely isn't as bad after I eat or drink . Barely there .. Well as I was typing this is came back -- guess because i was thinking about it? Is this really anxiety I don't even understand

I've had this in the past, even to the point I woke up in the middle of the night with it and just sat there for a good 10 minutes trying to deal with it. This was about 2 years ago when I was dealing with a strong bout of health anxiety so it wouldn't surprise me for one second if it was anxiety related. It eventually did pass though and haven't really had such an episode anytime recently.

I feel like my anxiety has been pretty constant and intense right now too.. So maybe that is why? I know I've felt this before and just thought it was allergies but maybe it is anxiety related..

We have a whole sub-forum for these problems so I have moved your post there so have a read in this forum and you will see it is very common.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I've had this as well comes and goes.. Though it doesent bother me as much when I'm not stressed, I have to keep swallowing because I feel something in my throat, and occasionally I keep clearing it. though this is something that should disappear over time

I would like to first say I'm almost positive it's anxiety related. This happened to me a couple years ago and it was AWFUL!!! Then it was other normal things I would focus on. I got so scared I'd think up some new thing and it would just add to the list of crazy things I'd focus on! I did find a forum that explained that when you're anxious you focus on normal body functions you would never think about. It would keep me up at night. It would be the first thing I'd think about when I woke up. All day long for 2 weeks one time I dwelt on my swallowing. It was so upsetting. But God really helped me and one day I was talking to someone and she said I had a magnesium deficiency. I'm not explaining all the symptoms I had which led her to believe that but I did not realize that it would help me so much with anxiety and therefore with this fixation on body functions. But it did!! Seriously almost right away. So I want everyone with anxiety or stress even to know you should try a simple over the counter mineral before trying meds for your anxiety. But do not take magnesium oxide. It doesn't absorb well at all so obviously won't help at all. I get chelated magnesium(any kind other than oxide) at least 400mg/day. That's the minimum FDA recommended dose. And when it's my period or lots of stress or feeling anxious at all I take up to 600mg/day. It cannot hurt to try. I split the dose up throughout the day. Otherwise you can get diarrhea if it's too much at one time. So I get the 100mg dose and take up to 6 of them in a day. Not only did it help get me back to normal and take away my anxiety it also took away my twitching as I was falling to sleep, my crankiness, and my palpitations!

So it went away completely for you?

Theonlyoe- that's exactly what I'm going through.. It seems like it gets better and I notice nothing and then it hits me and I start getting really frustrated and over it. I'm wondering if it's also possibly allergies or even a combination of both. Either way I just hope it goes away and is nothing bad. (Now after typing this its back again!!)

Godismyshepard- I've definitely heard about magnesium and anxiety before. I really wanna go out and buy some now..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information