Thread: Fainting

Fainting

Has anyone ever fainted from a panic attack? I have about three times in twenty years of having anxiety.

Re: Fainting

Yes.

Near faints and three actual faints when I have what I would call a 'full blown' panic attack.

Most things we read about panic attacks is that fainting shouldn't happen as our blood pressures go up, but hyperventilation can cause fainting, so my bet is that may be the reason.

Whatever the case, it is a horrible feeling when it happens.

Debs have your panic attacks when you have actually fainted been in situations when you know they might cause anxiety?, like the last time i fainted was when i went to a Hospital about there hours away from me for an 8 pm evening outpatient appointment ( i was in the place to faint i suppose)
    I have had bad anxiety since i was 12 but this year has been the worst ever, I know the reasons and what triggers my panic attacks but its not easy to control anxiety as everyone knows

Hi Mike,

Yep, every time I have fainted was related to things that cause my anxiety to rise.

The first time was at the hairdressers (of all places) I always get really anxious before any kind of appointment, and this was a long one (hair being highlighted) and I could feel my panic rising as I sat in the chair. I excused myself to go to the toilet, but as I reached the toilet everything went black and I fainted on the toilet floor. I remember coming round to the face of a very scared looking, young teenage junior looking down at me, saying 'are you ok?' (poor girl, lol)

The second time was at work. I had recently handed in my resignation and the ward sister was asking me about it and I could feel my legs wobbling, heart racing and on came the panic. I told her I needed to sit down, but being the caring person she is she led me by the arm to lie on a ward bed and as we walked it all went dark and boom....down on the floor.

Third time I can't quite recall, but DEFINITELY every time has been related to anxiety inducing situations.

Yep, even knowing what triggers them sometimes doesn't help. It doesn't stop the anxiety from coming, as you kind of expect to feel anxious, so you do. The trick is to break that cycle, and that is the hard part. x

Hi. Are you suggesting a panic attack can physically make you faint? This has been my fear for many years... I also thought the flight or fight response would prevent this?

I'm afraid to say fainting is possible. Even my therapist said it's a possibility and "she knows what to do" if it did happen. It came up in conversation when she said why not just ride out the panic... well cos i don't want to faint lol.

Rare though and in my case of 10 years of extreme panic I've never fainted and I've been in some seriously bad ways before.

I guess riding it out is the only thing we can do. Though if I did faint I could imagine it would be a right kerfuffle.

Thread Information