Thread: Benzos and depression

Benzos and depression

Hi folks, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience. Yesterday morning I woke up feeling extremely anxious, so I took half a miligram of lorazepam - and within about thirty minutes felt a lot better. I took it at about 8 AM. Then around 2, I believe the drug's effects were fading, but rather than feeling very anxious, I became very, very depressed. It's not all that common for me to get depressed like that. I had a hard time just moving around I was so down.

Could this be a side effect of the lorazepam, or a side effect of benzos in general? Now I'm nervous about taking my lorazepam for fear it will depress me. Ugh... it's always something isn't it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

God bless you all,

Dave

Re: Benzos and depression

Hello David, You
    don't say how long you have been taking the lorazepam but I get the impression that it hasn't been very long.
    I have been on benzos for around 20 years, at the moment I am taking Lexotan and Rivotril. I would say the depression is a temporary side effect of taking a new drug. A lot of medications for psychiatric problems can give you a range of side effects for the first few weeks of use and then the side effects subside.
    0.5mg of Lorazepam is a very low dose so I would be surprised if it caused your depression. Perhaps when you felt the effectiveness of the benzo disappearing it brought down your mood because you were worrying about the forthcoming anxiety you would have to deal with.
    There is also the possiblity that this was a once off problem and that the depression was not connected to the benzo you took.
    I definitely would not stop taking the lorazepam because of one incident like this one. Try taking it again on a day when you are not at work or at a time when you are with someone you feel safe with. Of course if the depression you experienced was so severe that you had thoughts of harming yourself, then don't take it again and discuss the problem with your doctor.
    Anyway I hope you won't have this problem again,
    Take

Hi David,

I have had a really bad experience with Benzo's and am in the middle of a taper programme. If I knew then what I know now, wouldnt touch them!!!! Spose it depends on the dose and the frequency you use them!
    I felt great when I took them, then as they wore off had a real slump, and felt exhausted. Also your body gets used to them and you need to take more to achieve the same effects.

Benzos depend on alot of things The dose you are on, the type you are taking, how long you've been taking them, body chemistry as well as over all body weight. Depression is a common side effect and sadly what is making more and more people dependant and also abusive of benzo's. See a Benzo acts like a stimulate to elevate your mood and counter your "bad feelings" giving a boost a quick pick me up. Your body adjusts to the pick me up feeling so when it wears off your body wants more.. and more.. and more...

I simply refuse to take these things.. because all they are is a quick fix that result in dependency habits but I work in the health insurance field and I talk to people who call in crying because the insurance doesn't cover them or when I won't grant an override for them to get more so I know what I've said sounds harsh and heartless. I know your just looking for some releif for the merry-go-round your on and in our world a little relief goes a long way. .just becareful okay.. maybe start looking into alternatives with your doctor..considerr cognitive behavior therapy for a more permant solution. Above all I'm not trying to scare you my Mother takes the same med as you.. it seems to have a positive effect on her when she does take them .. Good Luck.

I'm only taking 7 drops of Lexotan before sleeping (started 2 weeks ago) but I think I'll just stop! I noticed I have some good days but also some bad ones when I'm less reactive to my anxiety. I should feel more positive because things are improving for me and instead I often feel down.
    I read one of the side effect is depression if there is already some underlying depression. I think I'll go back to herbal tea!

Thread Information