Thread: Thanatophobia

Question Thanatophobia

May I ask how many people suffer thanatophobic panic disorder? My greatest phobia associated with my condition is the absolute certainty (no matter whether or not I know deep down, am reassured by medical professionals, or whatever else, that I am in the process of drawing my last breath, feeling my last heartbeat, (more correctly, heart FLUTTER) and that my toe is actually touching that bucket... I have required to get the advised 4mg lorazepam Intravenously on many occasions after calling an ambulance telling them of my ongoing heart attack or whatever it feels like, my inability to breathe, my impending death etc.
    It MUST be the most terrifying of all phobias, and I remain surprised that I am still alive after so many 'near-death' experiences, which of course were nothing but phobia displaying itself; but try telling me that while in the middle of an attack - no way will I believe anyone because I am certain, SURE that I am dying. I have spent over 25 years living with this and there is nothing that will ever convince me otherwise. One of the defining points of a phobia of course.
    How common actually IS thanatophobia in people with panic disorders?

Re: Thanatophobia

sorry to hear of you suffering with this phobia. i've not come across this before. My dad used to worry about his heart a lot and would have to know where the nearest hospital was whereever he was incase his heart would behave strangely. Similar anyway.

I have a different phobia but either way they can be treated as i'm finding out with the usual combinations of therapy (talking/cbt) - to change your thinking patterns and/or medication.

dunno if that was comforting in any way but i hope it was

Thread Information