Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High calcium but need blood tests for more

High calcium but need blood tests for more

Hi. After a recent hospital admission it was discovered that I have high calcium levels in my blood. My GP has referred me to hospital for it. I've been told it could be my parathyroid glad. I've just about convinced myself I don't have cancer! The consultant rang me and said he needed further information in the way of a blood test to check my vitamin D, however when the forms have arrived to take to the phlebotomist they are also checking my liver, kidneys and all kinds of other things.

This has got my mind working overtime. I'm worried they think I might have some form of cancer elsewhere in my body and I feel sick with worry. Any ideas why they would test all these other things?

Thankyou x

Re: High calcium but need blood tests for more

I think liver and kidneys are pretty standard tests I've had these recently as I feel like hell.

As for the high calcium somebody else has recently posted in regards to this too. I know a relative who also had this and it was parathyroid related. 99.9% of the time it is benign, I know that 0.1% will be playing on your mind but it's very, very unlikely. My relative also had low vitamin D. Perhaps they come hand in hand?

Thanks Kee-Kee. I did read your comments on the other posts and they did help to make me feel better thanks. I'm just worried they may think I have liver cancer now as that might be causing the high calcium. My liver levels were on the high side usually linked to fatty liver I believe but they have been that level for a while without worry from my GP. My mind is goi g absolutely crazy. I know I can do nothing but wait and see but I'm literally torturing myself. The fact The consultant rang me so quickly doesn't help!

Thanks for replying x

Yeah, definitely normal to test all of those things. Every time i have had routine blood tests for a physical they test liver, kidneys, etc. It's just part of a thorough check.

I think maybe they contacted you quite quickly as from what my relative was told, high calcium levels over a long period of time can cause damage to bones. My relative has teeth issues which they now agree is probably that. However not to worry as my relative apparently had high calcium about 5 years ago and it was never picked up on at the time. It can make you feel pretty crappy though and no doubt the consultant will know that and want to sort it asap.

Thanks both for your replies. I got my blood results yesterday. My PTH is still high although my calcium has gone back to within normal (albeit high normal) range. My vit d is 13 when is should be 50+.

Been feeling really sick lately which I'm presuming is the anxiety!

Thanks again xx

Hi Julie,

I'm right there with you. I've had anxiety for about 10 years, but lately had been feeling pretty good. Then a couple weeks ago I get the notice about my lab results saying my calcium was high. It tested high a few years ago (about 10.3/4) and was 10.5 this time.

I've been living like this for a while now, but of course it's pushed me off the deep end as far as anxiety is concerned because now I got an ultra sound, additional blood tests, etc, and from everything I read it's not something that can be fixed with medication.

I had a couple of real nice people talk me down in the thread I made about it, but I totally get what you're feeling. Hey, we're in this together!

Hi
    I had a parathyroid tumor removed last Nov.
    It was benign. My calcium was elevated and so was my PTH. My vit D was low. These are classic signs of hyperparathyroidism and it needs to be addressed.
    Don't let them try to give you high doses of vit D.
    Go to parathyroid.com and it will explain everything very well, read it all.
    Take care.
    Mugs

Hi again.
    I should also reassure you that parathyroid tumors are very very rare.
    I had my surgery done by Dr. Norman who wrote all the info on parathyroid.com
    My surgery took 17 min. and I was back in my hotel room in 4 hours.
    He estimated my tumor had been there for about 10 years and it was the size if a kidney bean. The normal glands are the size of a grain of rice.
    My only symptom of hyperparathyroidism was anxiety and sleeplessness.
    I still suffer from anxiety but I'm much better then I was.
    My bones have suffered and I will be on calcium supplements for the rest of my life, I do not have osteoporosis yet, thank goodness.
    I am 61 and travelled to The USA from Canada for my surgery.
    Once the doctor received all my bloodwork I was booked for surgery within 3 weeks.
    I met people from all over the worked having the same surgery.
    Best wishes to you and you can message me anytime if you have any questions.
    Please don't let them put you on vit D, your body is keeping your Vit D level low to protect you from higher levels if calcium in your blood. If your calcium is high or even normal your PTH should always be low.
    Mugs

Hi JulieG
    I mean't to say that cancer of the parathyroids is extremely rare.
    Benign tumors are not common but as you can see there are a few of us out there
    Please take care and let me know how you are doing.
    I am a nurse and work in a major medical centre here in Canada.
    Mugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information