Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noticed something red in stool, now anxiety is off the scale

Noticed something red in stool, now anxiety is off the scale

Hi, I'm a 50 year old female who has suffered with ibs for almost 30 years. For the most part it's under control but I do get the occasional flare up.

Last Thursday morning I went to the toilet and had a large bm which was a little messy to clean up (Sorry tmi) while wiping I noticed amongst the stool on the tp there was a part of the stool with a reddish tinge, of course utter panic set in and now I'm having constant anxiety and my ibs is playing up. I'm trying to rationalise but my health anxiety mind won't let me. I have noticed this before and have mentioned it in one of my posts about 5 years ago. I had eaten tomato, strawberry jam and a chilli cooking sauce in the days before it happened so not sure if that could be the cause.

Can anyone relate to this or have any reassuring words please.

Re: Noticed something red in stool, now anxiety is off the scale

Anyone? Stressing loads here and finding it difficult to function

Sounds like tomato skins to me

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi

I have severe HA at the moment too where I have loose BM's for the last 4 weeks, I fear the worst which is the BIG C!

The red could be anything you have eaten, did it look like undigested red skins?

Thanks for the replies,
    I have seen undigested skins from peppers or tomatoes in my stool especially when it's softer than usual, which is happening a lot these past few days because of my anxiety. The red colour I noticed looks like a smear but it's mixed with stool on the tissue, there's no visible blood in the toilet. My anxiety has risen so much that I'm starting to check my stools physically for anything red. I'm ashamed of myself!! As I said I posted on here about 5 years ago about the exact same thing. Would red foods cause a small red smear? I haven't gone to work today because of my anxiety over this ��

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Sorry Kay,
    I meant to ask, do you have ibs? How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Thanks for the replies,
    I have seen undigested skins from peppers or tomatoes in my stool especially when it's softer than usual, which is happening a lot these past few days because of my anxiety. The red colour I noticed looks like a smear but it's mixed with stool on the tissue, there's no visible blood in the toilet. My anxiety has risen so much that I'm starting to check my stools physically for anything red. I'm ashamed of myself!! As I said I posted on here about 5 years ago about the exact same thing. Would red foods cause a small red smear? I haven't gone to work today because of my anxiety over this ��
    I've definitely had this before and panicked so much but then realized it was food.

The only way to make yourself feel better is to go a few days without eating anything like tomatoes, peppers, chilli or anything where the colour/skin could remain. I guarantee you wont find anything.

Also even 'if' it were blood, a small smear of blood is 9/10 absolutely nothing to worry about, it's very common and remember most people(without anxiety) definitely do not check so they would not know.

I have been where you are though and obsessed over it but as this was years ago when it was happening and i am still here and fine then i hope it reassures you a little.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Just to add i have IBS too x

Even if it was blood it is not necessarily anything to worry about.

I have crohn's/colitis and IBS and I get bleeding - visible blood in the toilet - and the consultant has never been worried about it at all.

If you pass a large stool it can also cause a tear which can bleed or you could have piles.

It sounds like food in the stool to me though.

What happened 5 years ago? What was done then?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I went through a really bad spell of HA concerning my bowels, I was very mentally ill due to it and it took up 6/7 months of my life. It eventually settled down and things went back to normal. I posted about having a red colour on the tp with my stool when I wiped.

Rainbow - I have sent you a private message!

Anyone else able to relate to this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information