Thread: can i take these

can i take these

hi all was wondering whether i can take iron tablets just by buying them,i get bouts of tiredness for days then i dont feel as bad for days,i am wondering if i could try some iron vitamins,to see if this would help.i dont really know if i am short of iron i did ask doctor whether i could be and his answer was anxiety makes you very tired at times.thanks tracy

p.s.or any other advice for help with tiredness would be appriecated thanks

Re: can i take these

Hello!!

Erm.........not really sure if you can buy iron tablets over the counter hun but I do know that you can buy multivitamin tablets with iron!!! It might be better to try it that way and then you are getting a boost of everything that your body needs!!!

Iron tablets themselves can have some horrid side effects though - therefore, again, would try them in the lower doses first which is probably what it is when joined with the multivitamins!

Hope this makes sense and as far as the tiredness goes - just be kind to yourself and listen to your body!! Rest when it tells you to, sleep when it tells you to and do things inbetween!! It will get better.

Hope you feel better soon,

DShell x

Hi Tam,

I would assume that your doctor took blood samples and did required tests to know that you were not anemic to state that anxiety made you tired at times. If you are not anemic and ruling this out I would suggest going to bed at the same time every night and setting up a routine. This helps you get a good night's sleep. Also, trying to get up at the same time every day, not taking naps during the day and having some sort of physical activity also helps. Of course, it goes without saying eating healthy, not smoking and avoiding caffiene is essential.

If you remain feeling fatigued I would suggest going back to the doctor for a follow-up of blood tests for anemia and perhaps thyroid problems.

I agree that a multivitamin is much better than straight iron as iron can make you extremely constipated and should only be taken upon doctor's orders.

I hope this helps.

Laura

thanks d shell and laura for advice.no laura i havnt had blood tests,doctor said i would feel tired every day if i was anemic thought also about thyroid before,think i will have to ask for blood tests,this just scares me waiting for results thinking there going to tell me ive got cancer,you know what i mean panic panic.thanks again tracy

Hi Tam,

I'd ask for blood tests if I were you, even thought it's very unlikely to be anything serious (and your doctor might well be right), it would put your mind at ease and if it does turn out to be anaemia or something you can sort it out quickly.

Lots of conditions can cause tiredness, and I'd argue you might just not realise you're tired every day because some days are worse than others. That's what happened to me, I have pernicious anaemia and by the time I was diagnosed I was into the dangerous stage where I was collapsing and things like that. Fine now though, B12 shots for the rest of my life!

If the tests all come out okay, you might find it helpful to look at your diet because some food sensitivities, especially with yeast or gluten, can cause tiredness. In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's probably something you can sort out really easily.

Thread Information