Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to get a handle on my HA

Need to get a handle on my HA

I have suffered from health anxiety on and off is say for the last 9 years: mine started from a panic attack I had when I was 17 years old, first one I ever had didn't know what it was etc. So that's where my heart worries came up. I suffer from OCD aswell so I think over the nine years I have had health worries some have never came around again some have repeated my anxiety has told me everything from HIV, brain annuresym, melanoma, lymphoma, several cancers, heart attack, DVT, diabetes.

I'm now at the stage where my anxiety has got so bad I suffer from very severe depersonilation and derelisation. Every feeling I get wether it be lightheadedness, to a slight pain in my finger I think I'm dying.

But I have started counselling now and CBT so I'm hoping to get better.. And live my life again without fear I'm dying all the time.

Recovering from my conditions and looking to the future.
    I am not very active but do try to reply to mails.

Re: Need to get a handle on my HA

It sounds like yours started in a very similar way to mine, although mine was much more recent.

Seeking help for your anxiety is brilliant and I wish you all the best with it. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that counselling and CBT work best when you apply yourself to them and are able to believe in them. So stick at it.

Sorry to hear that server :-( I will be I am really determined to get better, it was my birthday yesterday I was 26 and couldn't enjoy it cause of anxiety, I want to be able to enjoy my next birthday anxiety free

Good for you for starting CBT and counselling. This is the beginning of recovery. I found the logical aspect of CBT very useful, and although it does require a bit of work, I still mentally apply those techniques today (9 years since my CBT). I still have periods of worry, but usually manage to get it under control after a bit. Look forward to living your life without fearing every little symptom is impending death - it WILL happen

Hi Darwin, that's excellent that you can still apply the techniques so many years later and that they quickly help you, I am hoping I will be able to do that too.

I try to practice acceptance as best I can, as well. If it was my birthday, and we had something I'd planned, I'd just accept how I felt and enjoy it anyway.

I went to Iceland in February at a time when I felt my worst. I hated the way I felt, but I believed in my therapy and medication, and I accepted that it was just anxiety, and managed to have a brilliant trip.

I'm not saying this is easy. It takes practice and I fall down sometimes, but I've got better at it and I find it a very helpful way of approaching my condition.

Yes you can do this, it's hard work but worth it. I'm a long time sufferer, and still have blips, but I'm more able to get back on track since I've had counselling. it's possible to retrain your mind not to react so quickly, as long as you are prepared to do the work you can do it.

As server says, keep doing things like going out, celebrating and going on holiday even if your anxiety doesn't want you to. I've realised that even when my anxiety tells me I won't enjoy it, I still go even when I don't want to and generally have a good time.

Iceland sounds brilliant server I'm so glad you managed to enjoy yourself ,

I am prepared and determined primula I need to do this for me and from my partner and for basically everyone else aswell I have became quite a hermit recently

I really hope you feel better, health anxiety is a horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by GadGirl View Post
    Iceland sounds brilliant server I'm so glad you managed to enjoy yourself ,

I am prepared and determined primula I need to do this for me and from my partner and for basically everyone else aswell I have became quite a hermit recently
    I've been to some amazing places around the world, but nowhere got under my skin like Iceland. I think about it every day. Now that I'm in a better place, I'd love to go back and experience it again.

Believe me, recovery is a very rewarding feeling. Even just a small step feels like coming up for air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information