Thread: Stopped taking my Propranolol suddenly/Bad at taking medication.

Stopped taking my Propranolol suddenly/Bad at taking medication.

Hello,

I've been on Propranolol for maybe a year to help treat the symptoms of my anxiety, such as sweating and the sped up pace of my heart in stressful situations.

My current dose is 30MG daily in the form of a 10MG tablets three times daily. Recently I've been forgetting to take my tablets or have been taking only one of the 10MG tablets, and believe that I may be experiencing some sort of side effects due to not taking them consistently.

When I first started on the medication, I would get extremely tired and would fall asleep constantly. I was also extremely dizzy. Both of these effects proved to be stressful in regards to school. Eventually, it stopped being as bad and I was able to manage being on them fairly well.

Since I've stopped taking my medication properly, I've picked up on being very tired and occasionally a feeling of nausea. For example, both yesterday and today I've spent most of the day feeling extremely tired, have fell asleep during the day, and still feel exhausted.

I'm unsure if the tablets are working anymore, and since finishing school for the summer I've been feeling a lot better in terms of my anxiety, which is why I'd like to stop taking the tablets altogether. Unfortunately, I return to school to join the sixth form in less than a week, and so I'm unsure whether stopping the medication will be a bad idea in the long run, so feel as if I should continue taking it for a while longer and see how things turn out. The only problem with that solution is that I'm inconsistent when taking my tablets, which has lead to me being in the situation that I'm currently in.

I have much work to do in preparation, yet I'm unable to get it done due to feeling extremely tired; a similar feeling to how I felt upon first starting with the medication. I'm horrific at remembering to take the tablets, and so don't want to keep stopping and starting.

I also have a very low blood pressure, which is why I couldn't be put on a higher dose.

I was wondering if anyone had stopped taking their propranolol abruptly and had experienced the same feeling, or whether I'm just overly tired in general. I was also hoping that some advice might be able to be given on whether stopping taking the tablets (at a more gradual pace) would be a bad idea in the long run in terms of school, which is where I previously experienced most of my anxiety.

Thank you!

Re: Stopped taking my Propranolol suddenly/Bad at taking medication.

Have you thought about asking for an extended release version? It would be easier to remember once a day.
    Although sixth form is different (in that you've chosen your subjects and don't have teaching in every session) it is going to be hard work, with a lot of pressure, so now might not be a good time to stop the meds. I would talk it through with your GP x

Thread Information