Thread: Addition to my cocktail, combination treatment

Addition to my cocktail, combination treatment

So my psych wants to add low dose (15mg) mirtazapine to my already combo of 200mg pregabalin and 10mg of escitlaopram (she wants me to drop to 10 mg from the 20mg I am on at present. Im unsure about taking such a combination, has anyone any experience of combination therapy like this?

Re: Addition to my cocktail, combination treatment

Three drug regimes like this are the province of psychiatrists - they are not unheard of.

I'd go with your psychiatrist on this, and also give it a while to settle in - there may be some start-up lumps and bumps.

so it's not a tad overkill then?

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Three drug regimes like this are the province of psychiatrists - they are not unheard of.

I'd go with your psychiatrist on this, and also give it a while to settle in - there may be some start-up lumps and bumps.
    Hi Hanshan, I see you are also on mirtazapine, how did you find it starting up and once settled in? and what dose you on?

hi Shiz,

I am on Mirt (15mg pd) and Preg (225mg pd). My experience is that they work well together in bringing a sense of calm. I haven't ever taken ecitalopram so can't really comment on that front though.

I was on Mirt already for a long time (for depression), then added Preg more recently, and it was extremely useful for anxiety, and quickly.

You understandably have concerns about taking a growing number of meds, but as Hanshan says, this is where the expertise and knowledge and experience of your psych. comes in; she may well have used this combo with others to success, and is using that as a basis for you.

I would go with what she suggests, and remember that you may have ups and downs at the start; sadly, it's in the nature of things.

Best wishes,

Albert

Thanks for advice gents. You two should get an award for your help to the people on this site. Invaluable as ever

Hi Shiznit,

I'm a bit the same as Albert. I was originally put on mirtazapine (45 mg) for high levels of anxiety and disturbed sleep that I was experiencing at the time. I didn't have much in the way of start-up problems, and found it improved my sleep almost immediately.

However, daytime anxiety was still a problem. The anxiety level decreased, but never really went away, worst in the morning and improving somewhat over the day. After some time, I started pregabalin, and was one of the lucky ones, as it stopped the remaining anxiety quickly and almost completely.

Also like Albert, I don't have direct experience with escitalopram, but it's an SSRI, which is a different type of AD to mirtazapine, so the two may work well together. You can only try it and see - there's still no absolute certainty with these meds.

Thanks. Im just concerned about taking so many different drugs and the start up effects as any time ive started an SSRI anyway, I've had bad start up effects. The sedation of the mirtazapine is also a bit of a concern as when I am depressed or anxious I tend to feel very tired already! Hopefully be starting them on Friday so will see how it goes

Thread Information