Thread: Diarrhea For A Month

Diarrhea For A Month

Hello. I started taking Mirtazapine approximately a month ago at 7.5mg for the first 14 days and I was very sleepy the first night, and VERY hungry (after almost a month of Zyprexa withdrawl, which was kind of Hellish). That night I slept for about 4 hours on and off in between. The next morning I was constipated, so I took a fiber supplement early afternoon. That night I didn't sleep too well. The next morning I had a bowel movement and it was solid the first two times I went, and then the third time I went that day it was loose (came out soft and mushy, but broke apart and was fluffy like in the toilet). After the first 14 days I upped the dosage to 15mg as recommended by my nurse if I was still having sleeping issues (I had little sleep while withdrawling from Zyprexa). I had a BAD headache for a about 6 days as well, but it went away. Last week when I was out and about I had a bowel movement and when I went to go to the bathroom, nothing but a few drops of blood came out. I was still having loose stools the day after with a little blood, and the color was weird for about a week and a half before I went to the MD yesterday. That morning before my appt. I had a bowel movement and only a small, dark brown pellet came out, but it was solid. When I met with my MD I told him everything that was going on (no loss of hunger, I did have dry mouth, no dizziness, no pain, no weakness, no headache). I was checked out and I was told that there was nothing to worry about, and that I probally had another internal hemorrhoid and if I had issues again that a creme would be most likely needed to treat my hemorrhoid. I was also told to get more fiber in my diet (I've been making vegi smoothies and fruit smoothies and drinking herbal teas for some days now). I did have a little bit of weight loss but I think that was from changing my diet, which was a few days ago. I forgot to mention that after I started taking Mirtazapine I ate very unhealthy foods and at a huge rate that I gained 11lbs in a week and a few days (from 115lbs to 126lbs), but when I changed my eating habits I went from 126 to 123 (saw my nurse on the 27th this month) and then yesterday when I was weighed it was 121lbs. So I'm not too worried about that. This morning I had loose stools, smelled regular
    (like diarrhea), normal color, no blood. My question is has anybody experienced a months worth of loose stools/diarrhea? I read the leaflet on the medication and it states that diarrhea is common, but I'm wondering for how long is it supposed to last. Sorry for the long post, but I want to be thorough enough. I hope this makes sense.

---------- Post added at 10:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

I also forgot to mention that I take Lamictal at 150mg and Xanax at 0.25mg (went from 0.5mg to 0.25mg of the Xanax a little over a week now), so I'm not certain if that plays a part in this. I've been drinking around 5-6 16.5oz bottles of purified water since upping the Mirtazapine. My vegi smoothies consists of asperagus, brussel sprouts, avocados, kale with Sunny D. My fruit smoothies consists of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and non-fat greek yogurt and Sunny D. Last night I began drinking another type of smoothie along with the other ones and the new smoothie consists of carrots, beets, tomatoes with Sunny D. I started to drink dandelion tea again, around 3 cups throughout the day, ginger tea after I consume my smoothies. I've been eating two slices of white enriched toast with honey late afternoons, and saltines. I've been trying real hard to eat healthier again after unhealthy eating. I feel really great, just having loose stools.

Re: Diarrhea For A Month

Alternating constipation with diarrhea sounds like a bit of irritable bowel syndrome thrown in with maybe a change in your gut bacteria, and not helped by a sudden dietary change in quantity and quality of food.

Your body should quickly adjust to mirtazapine. You also need to get a steady diet that maintains a constant weight and is gut-friendly. Smoothies can be a part of a healthy diet, but humans were not designed to live on smoothies! I'm guessing that too much smooth stuff is making it hard for your colon to form a consistent stool. Good luck.

Are you eating any solid food or just smoothies?

anxiety can also cause loose stools

Thread Information