Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mirtazapine startup

mirtazapine startup

Hi, just starting 15mg/day along with couple other meds. Read that it is bad for weight gain, is this just because it increase your appetite? So in theory if can control appetite should be ok?

Re: mirtazapine startup

Hi again Shiz,

Yes it can give you a hefty appetite, especially at first. Some people think it slows the metabolism, but I don't know what the evidence is on that front.

If weight is a problem for you, I strongly advise you to strictly control your diet and don't fulfil all your cravings if possible, especially with carbs etc. I always found filling up with fizzy water really useful - it fills you up, with zero calories. Fruit and salad are obviously good too.

Albert

Hi! Yes, would agree with SmilingAlbert. If you are aware of it and don't stuff yourself with sweet stuff you will be fine. I think it is okay to just stick to what you normal ate before taking the Mirt. You will probably feel like eating sweets more, I found this only for the first week or two, but just be disciplined in regards to over eating and you will be fine. Tracy x

Hi Shiznit,

The main problem with weight gain with mirtazapine seems to be when first starting it. I suspect it's related to increased appetite, or perhaps less sensation of fullness after eating. Some people report carb munchies. But if you can get through the early days okay, things seem to even out. I was even able to lose weight, although a recent spell in hospital after a leg operation saw me put weight back on.

You don't have to take this advice, as some people hate weighing themselves, but you could take your weight before starting and write it down somewhere, then you can check back after a week or so, to see how you are going and make any adjustments.

I have put on 9 kg since starting Mirt in March. I'm not usually very hungry during the day and eat normal amounts I think but tend to get the munchies after I've taken the Mirt and it's night time so I make poor choices.

I've just decided enough is enough and am cutting down on the sugar and carbs, basically by not having them in the house. I've swapped to dark chocolate and I can only eat a couple of bits of that as opposed to a whole 290g block of the other stuff in one evening!

Due to add the 15mg mirtazapine tomorrow evening, along wth 1omg escitolpram in morning. How bad is the tiredness on starting up and how long did it last for you?

I'm still tired! But have had a few other changes since starting the Mirt.

I remember feeling a bit of a zombie the first few mornings but this seems to improve. Definitely good to start on the weekend to see how you feel. Hopefully you will sleep well

that's why I was holding off to starting Friday.
    How long you been on them now Shazamataz?

Just gone back on these 2 months ago and have put weight on. Trying not to eat more and I wouldn't be surprised if it DOES slow the metabolism as well as increasing appetite as I am not aware of eating more than usual. Have been on the meds for 9 years on and off. Currently having a Health Anxiety episode so their effects are not helping much!

Hi Shazamataz,

Unfortunately, your weight gain of around 2 kg a month has been reported in at least one study that I have seen. Hopefully, the increase has eased off after the first few months and you can get back to a weight you are comfortable with.

Doctors can warn people of of potential weight gain with mirtazapine and things like increased appetite. But they don't, maybe because they are wary of frightening someone off a med they think will be helpful. For me "forewarned is forearmed", but that may not be true for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information