Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mirtazapine startup

Re: mirtazapine startup

its the tiredness that concerns me most. How long does that go on?

Tiredness can be a couple of days to a week or so. It doesn't affect everyone - in fact, if you've been having poor sleep, you may feel better in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit76 View Post
    that's why I was holding off to starting Friday.
    How long you been on them now Shazamataz?
    Since March. They improved my anxiety for a bit but I went downhill again in June and am now on venlafaxine as well.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Shazamataz,

Unfortunately, your weight gain of around 2 kg a month has been reported in at least one study that I have seen. Hopefully, the increase has eased off after the first few months and you can get back to a weight you are comfortable with.

Doctors can warn people of of potential weight gain with mirtazapine and things like increased appetite. But they don't, maybe because they are wary of frightening someone off a med they think will be helpful. For me "forewarned is forearmed", but that may not be true for everyone.
    I believe I put on 1kg a week for the first 5! and then it's crept on a bit slower. I am guilty of eating sweet stuff in the evenings, though I've always done that and never got this fat. Also, because I had to leave work I am less active than I was. I walk my dogs usually twice a day but not a lot else.

I have been struggling with sever fatigue but I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue over 20 years ago so it's likely more than just the meds.

Hi Shazamataz,

The 2 kg per month figure is averaged out over a number of people over several months - so the rate and amount will vary from person to person.

The unfortunate reality (and this applies to me) is that sedentary adults really don't need a lot of food each day to fulfill their energy needs. For me, my energy need is much less than when I was younger and would happily walk uphill a mile and a half to see a friend, and then back home (and that was at the end of an active day).

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Shazamataz,

The 2 kg per month figure is averaged out over a number of people over several months - so the rate and amount will vary from person to person.

The unfortunate reality (and this applies to me) is that sedentary adults really don't need a lot of food each day to fulfill their energy needs. For me, my energy need is much less than when I was younger and would happily walk uphill a mile and a half to see a friend, and then back home (and that was at the end of an active day).
    I don't eat a lot but I do eat too much in the evenings and it's when I crave all the bad stuff. Have been cutting down a bit so will hope to see even a couple of those kg coming off!

For me, diet control gets harder as the day goes on.
    Last edited by hanshan; 02-09-16 at 11:35.

I take it if you don't give in to the cravings then weight should not be affected

Well took first pill last night and slept near on solid 12 hours. Woke up pretty groggy, but couple coffees later i am feeling more awake. Thankfully i am not working at weekend so have couple days to get over the worst of starting up as certainly couldnt have gone to work today due to tiredness,

Hi Shiznit,

Things should get easier from here. Tolerance to the antihistamine-related sleepiness/drowsiness of mirtazapine builds up quickly, but at least one study says that mirtazapine also works in other ways to promote normal sleep, but without drowsiness.

So does the tiredness go? Feeling kinda spaced, does that go too?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information