Thread: MRI - really anxious, also can I wear makeup?

MRI - really anxious, also can I wear makeup?

Hello,
    I am agoraphobic and have been housebound for over 8 years, I have just started to go out small distances from home.

I have had ongoing back pain on my spine for over a year so after having to go to see a consultant I am now scheduled for an MRI for two parts of my spine.

I am starting to get really anxious as it difficult for me to go out as it is and I am very scared of small spaces. (I do have diazepam so perhaps I will be allowed to take that before)

Anyway I was wondering for anyone thats had MRI's were you allowed to wear makeup? I asked the lady on the phone when I booked and she said yes but just a little. But now I am seeing different opinions online?

I also have severe Body Dysmorphia and would never leave the house without makeup... so on top of being agoraphobic and scared of small spaces I am starting to get very anxious about the fact I may have to take my makeup off at the hospital before the MRI.

Was anyone allowed to wear makeup?

Re: MRI - really anxious, also can I wear makeup?

Hi,
    I had an MRI last year on my back. It was a small space, but not nearly as small as I had anticipated. It does not feel like you are trapped; the tube they slide you in is open on both sides. If you are worried, tell the person who is taking your MRI; they may give you a sedative or talk to you while you are in there to calm you. Also, i've seen people bring in family members or friends to hold their hand while they're in the machine because they're scared. It's a painless procedure and I actually fell asleep while i was getting mine! It only took around 15 minutes.

With regards to the makeup, they don't want you to wear it because a lot of makeup contains metals that distort the MRI images. It wouldn't hurt you physically to wear it; however, it may not give them the clear images the want, and they may send you for another, meaning you would have to go through this process all over again. I would suggest you don't wear it so you only have to do this one time.

Thread Information