Thread: Splinter Hemorrhages? FREAKING OUT!

Splinter Hemorrhages? FREAKING OUT!

Hi,

Since the start of the year I have been noticing that I keep getting little dark vertical lines under my fingernails. Some times there is just one or two under a couple of nails but I have just noticed that if I push on the top of my nail there are heaps of tiny ones one every nail!

Most of them you can only see when you push on the nail.
    A couple of weeks ago I peeled shellac off all my nails... could that have caused it?

I am FREAKING OUT because silly me googled it and saw that it can be a really bad thing :(

I'm only 24 and im trying to get through my last semester of Uni but this is taking over all my thought energy.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Seriously freaking out!

I have just made a doctors appointment for tomorrow but I dont know I can wait that long!

I have to stop googling! I just googled imaged "lost of splinter hemorrhages" and found a picture like mine and it said something about "signs of a serious health problem from your nails" and I just had another freak out and clicked out of the tab

Re: Splinter Hemorrhages? FREAKING OUT!

Don't freak out, but see a doctor if you can see bleeding under your fingernails. It's unlikely to be related to any nail polish you have put on or removed.

Like all these things, it's just a symptom until a real live doctor says it's more serious (not Dr Google, who always says everyone has cancer and an aneurysm).

Shellac is meant to be soaked off though, not peeled off. So I was wondering if that could cause some trauma?
    I am hoping that is the case as that is not something serious

I really can't say about peeling off the shellac - it might do some injury, but if it did it would be minor.

Your health anxiety is probably being increased due to anxiety of getting through the last semester of your course. All I can say is that most of it should be over in another two to three months, so hang in there. If you have got this far, you will get through what remains.

Just an update,

Been to see the doctor, she said what I have doesn't look like splinter hemorrhages and she listened to my heart and lungs and said that I am perfectly healthy. She said it most likely was from my shellac as the nail regrowth looks healthy and good. She said nail issues are usually a secondary symptom to any serious condition and that if I did have anything bad, there would be other symptoms and that my nails would be the least of my issues.

I am reassured for now...

Thread Information