Thread: Panic when swallowing food

Panic when swallowing food

Hi all

So a few months ago, I had a piece of food go down the wrong way and managed to cough it up. Ever since then, I panic when it comes to swallowing. I hope I can describe where the panic comes in. Its the first stage of swallowing when the tongue touches the roof of the mouth, clamping down on the food. I panic and it stays in that position and I end up retreating and continue chewing my food before I work up the courage to try again.

My fear is that food will slip through at that stage if I don't swallow when the tongue and roof of the mouth make contact.

Can food slip through at that point? If I don't finish the swallowing process or it hangs in that position because I'm panicking, will it cause the food to go down the wrong way? Can we choke on food that is chewed properly?

Its a strange fear so I hope I'm making sense.

Any insight will be of great help.

Thanks.

Re: Panic when swallowing food

Quote Originally Posted by John Jack View Post
    Hi all

So a few months ago, I had a piece of food go down the wrong way and managed to cough it up. Ever since then, I panic when it comes to swallowing. I hope I can describe where the panic comes in. Its the first stage of swallowing when the tongue touches the roof of the mouth, clamping down on the food. I panic and it stays in that position and I end up retreating and continue chewing my food before I work up the courage to try again.

My fear is that food will slip through at that stage if I don't swallow when the tongue and roof of the mouth make contact.

Can food slip through at that point? If I don't finish the swallowing process or it hangs in that position because I'm panicking, will it cause the food to go down the wrong way? Can we choke on food that is chewed properly?

Its a strange fear so I hope I'm making sense.

Any insight will be of great help.

Thanks.
    Hi there, can't offer much advice but can say you are not alone. I am suffering with this at the moment and I don't know what to do. I am scared with liquids and solids. I've hardly eaten in days and I have underlying condition that requires me to eat properly. I'm scared. I'm forcing myself to keep eating minuscule bits but it's not enough to keep me going and am off work today as feeling weak :(

Ugh I read about people on here overcoming this but they don't say what they did. Does anyone have any tips?

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Just a thought but would oral thrush cause swallowing issues? I have had anaemia the past few years, has been bad sometimes. I was going to get this checked out again as I've been very tired and run down lately. Anyway my tongue has been sore and coated with white yellow furry stuff for a week or so (sorry gross, I know) and bad taste in mouth. I thought it was acid reflux. I don't know. I'm off to the doctors tomorrow. Til then I have to enjoy this woozy no eating feeling. Ugh. I feel very sorry for anyone with this worry. If anyone wants to talk let me know.

Think of all the times you swallowed correctly, and there were no issues. It's probably in the hundreds of thousands!! And you've let one tiny incident affect your confidence.

I've never had this particular concern, so cannot comment directly.

I'd recommend counselling, or maybe a hypnotherapist. I've seen this kind of thing successfully treated before.

However, I don't think you will need them. You just need to restore faith in your ability to chew and swallow food!! And for heavens sake, do not over-analyse the process! (Easier said than done i know.)

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Think of all the times you swallowed correctly, and there were no issues. It's probably in the hundreds of thousands!! And you've let one tiny incident affect your confidence.

I've never had this particular concern, so cannot comment directly.

I'd recommend counselling, or maybe a hypnotherapist. I've seen this kind of thing successfully treated before.

However, I don't think you will need them. You just need to restore faith in your ability to chew and swallow food!! And for heavens sake, do not over-analyse the process! (Easier said than done i know.)
    Hey there! I know this is kind of a phobia. When I wake up I can drink fine! As the day goes on I get worse. Ugh so frustrating. I have managed to drink more now, I'm telling myself what you are saying, you've done it before, without thinking! I have to shout at myself! Stop this nonsense brain! Okay I think I am going a bit doolally through hunger now. You are totally right, over analysing is a big thing. I had a bit of health anxiety and panic attacks after a parent died suddenly and out of the blue. I think some of this could link to focussing in on things like this/ body scanning for 'illnesses' etc.

Hey to the OP sorry if it seems like I have hi-jacked your thread, I joined today to post a similar thread but saw yours and didn't want to make the same one underneath. Hope it's okay!
    Last edited by Pigoonlet; 14-09-16 at 12:56. Reason: Added sentence

Hey guys, just to update. I had oral thrush too which had gone into my throat a bit.

Oral thrush???? Dear this cause you to have problems swallowing?

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

I have random days wear my throat feels right and lumpy and find it hard to swallow is this anxiety linked??? I've been on sertaline for 7 weeks now and was hoping to be able to swallow without panicking by now!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma herriott View Post
    Oral thrush???? Dear this cause you to have problems swallowing?

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

I have random days wear my throat feels right and lumpy and find it hard to swallow is this anxiety linked??? I've been on sertaline for 7 weeks now and was hoping to be able to swallow without panicking by now!
    Yep, my tongue was very sore and the 'top' of my throat raw and couldn't feel properly. Made me feel anxious. I had excess saliva and thought it was anxiety but as the thrush has died down the saliva has too. Co-incided with a very nasty bout of acid reflux. Fun times. Uggh.

Thread Information