Thread: tricyclics and SSRIs

tricyclics and SSRIs

Hi

I wondered if anyone knew hoe long do you have to wait between taking a tricyclic and then starting on a SSRI. Ive only taken the tri for 4 days and didnt get on with them.

What are the side effects of SSRIs. I know they can make anxiety worse before it gets better, but how much worse, for how long?

Cheers - Liz xx

Re: tricyclics and SSRIs

Hi Liz, as far as I know it varies - between one and two weeks. Depending on what one you're given your doctor should let you know, if not it will tell you in the patient information leaflet. As for side effects, these vary too but the side effects and any increased anxiety should only last about a fortnight at most (presuming the SSRI agrees with you). Whether you suffer worsening anxiety or side effects and how bad it will get is different for everyone, it's a bit of a lottery really. Your doctor will probably be aware of how chemically 'clean' each SSRI is and will try and prescribe one he thinks will suit you, and I believe they're generally less problematic than tricyclics so hopefully you'll get on better with them.

Hi Liz, my psychiatrist says you need too weeks between a SSRI and a tricyclic.
    I have just changed from Setraline (SSRI) to Prothiaden (tricyclic) and had to take a two week break in between. Tricyclics do have side effects for the first two or three weeks of use but I have found them to be more effective than SSRIs for depression. Luckily I have never suffered too much from drug side effects but I do know other people can be very sensitive to drugs.
    Take care
    Eibhlin

thank for replying.

I have only taken 4 of the tablets and have DOcs apointment tomorrow.

Eibhlin - may I be cheeky enough to ask, why have you switched meds?

Seeing Phyciatrist on Monday!!

Take care - Liz xx

I was supposed to go on a tricyclic recently but decided not to in the end. I was already on an SNRI (similar to SSRI) and my psychistrist said it wsa ok to be on both together. Go with whatever your psych suggests. That's what he/she is paid for!! Let us know how you get on Monday.

Eibhlin - may I be cheeky enough to ask, why have you switched meds?

Hi Lizzie, be 'cheeky' all you like! Basically I have had depression/panic/gad for 20 years and SSRI anti depressants have never helped me with the depression. Tricyclic anti depressants do lift my depression and luckily enough I don't get any bad side effects from them except for the usual dry mouth, , no sex drive, thirsty all of the time and tiredness. I would get these side effects on a SSRI as well.

I was on Prothiaden (dothiepin, a tricyclic) for five years and my depression was quite stable on it. When I would get an episode of depression it would last only a few weeks and I'd be ok again.

However 15 months ago my psychiatrist took me off the Prothiaden because he thought I had been on it for too long and he wanted me to take an SSRI anti depressant. So I tried several of the SSRIs and my depression just got worse and worse, 2006 was my worst year in regards to depression and anxiety.

I kept telling the psychiatrist that I wanted to go back on a tricyclic but he kept putting me off by telling me about all the side effects. Basically I think tricyclics are much more dangerous in terms of overdose than SSRIs are so doctors don't want you on them.

Anyway after over a year of insisting, I finally got prescribed Prothiaden again a couple of weeks ago (I had to take a 2 week break inbetween stopping the SSRI -Setraline- and starting the tricyclic.)

I know Setraline works well for a lot of people but it does nothing for me, as don't any of the SSRIs.

Anyway I hope the Prothiaden works for me again this time round and I would suggest to anyone who doesn't respond to SSRIs to give a tricyclic a chance. You may actually feel worse for the first three or four weeks on a tricyclic but if you can ride out the initial 'starter' effects, then it might work for you.

Anyway Lizzie, I hope that the SSRI works for you but I would suggest to anyone to give a tricyclic a chance if you don't respond to SSRIs.

Take care Lizzie and hope the psychiatist appointment is beneficial to you.

Thread Information