Thread: Fear of Flying

Fear of Flying

Hello... I'm in a severe anxiety and panic state right now. I have my first ever flight coming up on Saturday from New York to California to meet my son as he returns from a seven month Marine military deployment.

I have not seen him in 10 months and he is very very excited for my husband and myself to come and spend a whole week with him

I'm terrified of everything concerned with flying. Terrorism, turbulence, birds, engine failure, etc. I fear not being in control.

I get the statistics. I'm a very intelligent person and know the real dangers in driving versus flying but in no way does that help me.

I am sitting here and I'm sick to my stomach with diarrhea and stomach cramps and foggy head and blurry vision and I'm 99% positive this is all anxiety because I have not stopped thinking about this for weeks and now it's only three days away and I feel like I'm getting worse

I have some Xanax but I just don't think that is going to be enough to control me. I have downloaded some new music and some comedy skits that I have not yet listen to so they will be fresh and hopefully divert some attention but I'm just so paralyzingly scared

Re: Fear of Flying

I flew to Asia on my own for my son's wedding. Two 5 hour flights there and the same back home 5 days later. I was scared but I went anyway. How long is your flight

My first flight is two hours and 15 minutes to my second flight is 4 1/2 hours

I have just never been so scared of anything in my life that all I can eat and keep down right now is crackers and ginger ale. I mean I'm not vomiting but ..

I was terrified but the thought of it is actually much worse than the flight itself. I watched films on the in flight entertainment system. Maybe tell the cabin crew you're nervous? Think how proud of yourself you'll be when you've done it

Thank you so much. I'm trying so hard to be tough for my son.
    I'm praying so hard through all this!!

You'll have your husband with you so that should help and you know in your brain that it'll be OK. Try to relax, easier said than done, I know, and just think how wonderful it will be to see your son. Please thank him for his service

I always get anxious during take off. It like I believe the plane won't be able to carry all of us. Once we are in the air I'm fine, except when there's turbulence.

Thread Information