Thread: Dysplastic mole? Skin cancer? Help!

Dysplastic mole? Skin cancer? Help!

I have what I think is a dysplastic mole. It's on my back, not quite a perfect circle and with a smaller raised bit in the middle. I'm hoping it's nothing more than an abnormal mole however I'm still going to check it myself every month or so and take pictures. Should I get it checked out or only if it changes? I'm 16 and don't think I've ever had a serious sunburn and none of my immediate family have ever had skin cancer.

Re: Dysplastic mole? Skin cancer? Help!

There's no harm in getting it checked out. I have a strange looking one that scared me but GP said it was nothing to worry about. They can come in all shapes and sizes and I was told the key is to look for change. However they can still change, I'm 27 and the one that I went to the doctors about definitely wasn't there 3 or 4 years ago, it doesn't mean it's anything to worry about, just best to get it looked at.

Thanks, what is yours like? Similar to how I described mine?

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KeeKee View Post
    There's no harm in getting it checked out. I have a strange looking one that scared me but GP said it was nothing to worry about. They can come in all shapes and sizes and I was told the key is to look for change. However they can still change, I'm 27 and the one that I went to the doctors about definitely wasn't there 3 or 4 years ago, it doesn't mean it's anything to worry about, just best to get it looked at.
    Thanks, what does yours look like? Similar to how I described mine?

I don't think there is any harm in having a dermatologist check it out, and if you are truly scared and believe it is new, or has changed in shape and size recently, have it biopsied. My body is covered in dyaplastic moles, uneven borders, deep in color. If you're only 16 and you haven't had many significant blistering sun burns in your life, or haven't visited tanning beds, and have no family with melanoma your risk is significantly low of getting it. There is somewhere around a 98% chance you don't have melanoma.

Thread Information