Thread: GP blew me off, swollen lymph node & armpit lump

GP blew me off, swollen lymph node & armpit lump

I have had a lump in my armpit for a couple of weeks now. It's time for my annual checkup anyway, so I saw my GP this morning.

1. He said lump is a cyst. The reason for the swollen lymph node was the cyst was probably infected at some point, but doesn't appear infected now. I asked him how he knew it wasn't cancerous, and he said it would be growing super fast and my lymph node wouldn't be soft and pliable.

2. I haven't had blood work in a year, but he said I didn't need any. I've always had blood work done in my annual visits, but he brushed me off and said I was young and didn't need them (I'm 32).

My lymph node has been hurting, and hurts worse now that he's been touching it. I have been good about not touching the lump or the node, limiting myself to once per day.

I want confirmation that this is a cyst, and I want it removed. I don't even know where to go from here. I have my annual appt with my obgyn on the 19th. I guess I can ask her. I feel brushed aside and not taken seriously...my appt was at 9 and I was on the way home before 915.

Re: GP blew me off, swollen lymph node & armpit lump

I'll admit that a blood workup is pretty standard stuff for a yearly check-up but if there's no reason to and that's his professional opinion then so be it. You could always go private if you really feel you must.

Concerning the node? He's right. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts. Soft, movable nodes are a good thing and of course it will be a little sore between you and the doctor poking and prodding.

So you'll ask your OB/GYN when you go. The real question is... Will you believe it when you're told a 2nd time there's nothing to be concerned with?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information