Thread: This One Symptom

This One Symptom

About a month ago, a new symptom came with my panic attacks, numbness in my arms/hands . When it happened it freaked me out so much that I thought I was having a heart attack ( of course I wasn't). I was still able to move my arms and hands it just was the feeling was weird. Of course after that, I was terrified that it was going to happen again. More yet , since it happened in the 9pm hour, now I associate that hour with the feeling so whenever 9 pm rolls around I start to get anxious and worry that it might happen again. Sometimes I'm successful and it doesn't happen others it does but now it lasts for shorter time. After the numbness passes , my arms /hands feel sensitive like on the verge on doing it again although it never happens again.
    Now throughout the day it seems I'm on high alert, paying attention to any weird sensation that might be the numbness although I know it isn't. And this may sound stupid, but lately I have been avoiding going out anywhere due to this. My other panic symptoms I can handle, but this one just freaks me out.

Re: This One Symptom

I`m not 100% but this can come from overbreathing, it wrecks your oxygen/carbon dioxide balance and can cause tingling or numbness. If you sense it starting try to breathe in for a count of 3, hold for 4, then breathe out for 5. nothing more technical than that and I found it helped stop this for me.

its very real and very frightening but once you realise you can exercise some control over such symptoms it might open a little door for you to see that you can take steps towards recovery.

hope this helps, take care

Hi I've had the whole numb/tingling hands and arms when I've been anxious and panicky. It seems like a real common symptom of anxiety and it's nothing dangerous - nothing bad is going to happen. I know it's hard, but just keep reminding yourself that it's fine.
    Try and distract yourself around 9pm from the anxious thoughts.
    Hope this helps

I have had this symptom in my hands and feet every time I have had a panic attack. First couple if times I was convinced it was my heart. Had one today while driving and had to pull over for two hours. Hands and feet both stRted tingling then went numb. I gave been told it is caused by hyperventilating. I now use a paper bag to breath when I get a panic attack and it seems to help a bit.

I used to get this.

It was a slight onset of carpal tunnel syndrome. I got a new mouse mat, and it solved the problem. I'm not even joking.

Thread Information