Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol anxiety

Alcohol anxiety

Ive done it again i went out for the football got blackout drunk cant remember a thing and now im sat here racked with panic and guilt.i do it every weekend and its making my life an absoloute hell my girlfriend and son dont deserve it im ashamed of myself.i suffered a massive brain injury so i shouldnt drink anyway theyve seen me nearly die once im making there lifes a misery and i cant stop.i feel like having a drink again now because i cant cope with this anxiety its driving me mad i need it to stop im in for another few days of lying here mulling things over and panicing

Re: Alcohol anxiety

Hi. Sorry to hear you are feeling bad this morning. I've lost count of the posts I've read from people saying exactly the same thing after a night's drinking, it really isn't worth it and will happen every time you drink so unless you are prepared to forego alcohol in favour of your mental health and relationships then there's not a lot that can be done. Alcohol and anxiety do not go well together at all, alcohol is a depressant after all, and if you add medication into the mix it is a sure fire recipe for disaster.

Do you feel you HAVE to drink? Why not just stick to soft drinks instead and save yourself all the suffering you know will happen the next day? If you feel you absolutely have to drink then maybe you need to look at your relationship with alcohol and get some help with that?

There's nothing you can do except drink plenty of water now and try something to eat. It will eventually wear off.... until the next time.

Ill forget how bad this feels by next weekend and do it all over again i dont know what its going to take to stop me im going to end up dead or in jail

Do you have a drink before you go out? And do you mean you went to the pub to watch football? You could start by having a soft drink (as Mojo61 suggested) after every alcoholic one. Rotating between them during the match. And then perhaps next time increasing the soft drinks and reducing the booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Matylane View Post
    Ill forget how bad this feels by next weekend and do it all over again i dont know what its going to take to stop me im going to end up dead or in jail
    Why do you feel you have to drink every weekend?

Don't reduce the booze give it up. Get some help AA or whatever. Unless you want to end up dead or in jail , your words. .. my late husband died. Booze is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzella View Post
    Don't reduce the booze give it up. Get some help AA or whatever. Unless you want to end up dead or in jail , your words. .. my late husband died. Booze is not worth it.
    He'll have to reduce it before he gives it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Matylane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinian View Post
    He'll have to reduce it before he gives it up.
    Depends if he's only bingeing at weekends. I agree if he's drinking every day but it appears this only happens on a Saturday night and he's not drinking in the week. It is perfectly safe just to stop if this is the case.

Its a social thing i only drink if i go the pub but once i have a pint i have 20 and drink like a fish.its not like i can handle beer i allways end up in a mess

Only take £20 with you next time. You're not going to get 20 pints with that.

---------- Post added at 10:22 ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 ----------

You'll still be standing, too.

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

A little over 22 months sober now. Ironically, I didn't follow my own advice (here) by slowly reducing consumption, I just stopped. I don't know exactly why I just stopped. I suppose it was a number of reasons that all co-occurred. Embarrassment/shame, drinking is an expensive pastime, the drudgery of being a slave to alcohol, the secrecy, and the last concern was probably the most important, that I shouldn't be drinking with the medication I take. I think the drudgery and secrecy sealed the deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information