Thread: Stop Googling everything. I mean it!

Stop Googling everything. I mean it!

This is very simple advise. It can be hard to do at first but trust me, you'll be a lot happier.

Stop googling anything and everything related to your physical or mental health. Stop. Totally stop. Don't google that anxiety symptom. Don't google that disorder. Dont google that strange rash.

Stop Googling

Your are not a doctor and neither is Google. Its only too easy these days to get your phone out and make a search. To find other people who have felt the same weird sensation. To search for an explanation.

But, none of these things will stop your anxiety. By searching for an answer you are allowing that thought path of worry to continue. Is spending 20 minutes researching that weird sensation really helping you? No its not. It's giving in to an impulsive thought which will be something like "I need to know what this is."

No. You don't. 99.9% of the time it is absolutely nothing.

Don't Google it. Just let it be. Accept it.

And if you have an actual health problem or concern GO TO THE DOCTOR.

STOP GOOGLING. It's an addiction you never even knew you had. When you stop doing it notice how uncomfortable it makes you feel and you'll realise how trying to "find an answer" for everything is so addictive.

There is no answer for every sensation, thought, feeling. Just let it be, let it pass and get on with your life!

Re: Stop Googling everything. I mean it!

This is a problem for me. I've got to stop. It's an addiction. I just make myself more anxious and panic because symptoms can be a million reasons, yet the top search that always comes up first is cancer.

If you struggle to not Google, try just coming to NMP first and look for the symptoms here. I found that more calming than anything and now I don't use the Internet for symptoms at all. I just have a GP check-up if a new symptom appears that concerns me.

This is why I joined this forum. It distracts me from googling my symptoms and also getting support from others who understand and vice versa

I come here first for helpful info , and just google to get tips on healthy eating for depression/anxiety and positive things to do to overcome it and get better.

Quote Originally Posted by littlepanda View Post
    This is very simple advise. It can be hard to do at first but trust me, you'll be a lot happier.

Stop googling anything and everything related to your physical or mental health. Stop. Totally stop. Don't google that anxiety symptom. Don't google that disorder. Dont google that strange rash.

Stop Googling

Your are not a doctor and neither is Google. Its only too easy these days to get your phone out and make a search. To find other people who have felt the same weird sensation. To search for an explanation.

But, none of these things will stop your anxiety. By searching for an answer you are allowing that thought path of worry to continue. Is spending 20 minutes researching that weird sensation really helping you? No its not. It's giving in to an impulsive thought which will be something like "I need to know what this is."

No. You don't. 99.9% of the time it is absolutely nothing.

Don't Google it. Just let it be. Accept it.

And if you have an actual health problem or concern GO TO THE DOCTOR.

STOP GOOGLING. It's an addiction you never even knew you had. When you stop doing it notice how uncomfortable it makes you feel and you'll realise how trying to "find an answer" for everything is so addictive.

There is no answer for every sensation, thought, feeling. Just let it be, let it pass and get on with your life!
    I was like that before but yeah the normal thing to do is to go to the doctor if it's minor or to the hospital( walk in clinic) if it's more serious.

Googling is very addiction, I will go to the dentist and doctors everytime I worry, starting tomorrow. Got a GP appointment in November to help me.

Best advise ever!!! If only I was strong enough !

I absolutely agree...it's not worth it at all. Just wish I could stop :(

Thread Information