Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ALS Fear

ALS Fear

Hi all !

I'm 22 and i'm from Argentina. (Not a native english speaker, sorry for mistakes)

I'm writing here since a two weeks ago exactly i started to have some symptoms like:

- Rigidity in my hands (It started in one finger in my right hand and then go to the other hand.

- Some mild twitchings in random parts of the body

- Joint pain sometimes

- Feeling weak (sometimes i feel this in the right part of the body)
    Anyway, i tried to move some heavy things and i can, seems that i don't have any real weakness, only the sensation.

- Random tingle

- Sometimes i feel like if nothing is real, seems to be low pressure.

I need to clarify that i suffer anxiety, and a week ago (In the middle of these symptoms) i had a panic attack for first time, and i couldn't move my hands.

I became blood tests and they seems to be clean.

I went to my GP and she told me that seems to be anxiety, and nothing to worry about.
    Anyway, she requested me a ultrasound hands, and resonance of entire column. (I have rectification column and pain in my back usually)

And indicated me low doses of clonazepam if necessary.

I found weird that she didn't asked me a EMG or brain resonance.

I want you to know that my grandma died about ALS a year ago, that's why i'm worried about.

And i'm really worried about these symptoms :(

Could this be all anxiety?

Thanks in advance to all of you. I found this forum very useful.

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

In addition, the symptomps sometimes in some hours of the days goes, and then come back.
    In exception for my right hand, sometimes my left hands seems to be OK.

I play guitar and that's why i realized that they were rigid.

Re: ALS Fear

Definitely sounds like anxiety symptoms to me, especially as they come and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuatir View Post
    Definitely sounds like anxiety symptoms to me, especially as they come and go.
    Thank you for your prompt answer!!

Do you think that the symptomps could last for a 2 weeks ? Like the rigidity in my right hand?

Anxiety symptoms can happen for an indeterminate amount of time. They can come and go. My biggest symptom is neck pain due to the muscle tension anxiety brings, I've had it on or off for over a year.

Rigidity in you hand could also be a symptom of guitar playing. I play guitar too. It is always worth checking your technique to try and reduce tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuatir View Post
    Anxiety symptoms can happen for an indeterminate amount of time. They can come and go. My biggest symptom is neck pain due to the muscle tension anxiety brings, I've had it on or off for over a year.

Rigidity in you hand could also be a symptom of guitar playing. I play guitar too. It is always worth checking your technique to try and reduce tension.
    Actually, when i take this low dose of clonazepam (15mg) the symptoms seems to go, completly in my left hand and my right hand feels quite less rigid.

I don't know what should i do since i don't want to take anxiolytics, really i don't like it.

And i'm afraid to be covering something else with these.

About the guitar, could be in my left hand (I am right), but with my right hand? I don't think so

ALS was my first fear, because my muscles started twitching for no reason. I had this symptom (along with a lot of others that followed) for a year! 2 weeks of anxiety symptoms is nothing, believe me.
    Even now I still get it when I feel really nervous about something.

And I'm sorry to hear your grandmother died of this. It's an awful disease.
    But it's only hereditery in 10% of cases, which is extremely low! And at your age, the chances of you having it are extremely low. So having had the fear myself I know how debilitating it can be, but it's just anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    ALS was my first fear, because my muscles started twitching for no reason. I had this symptom (along with a lot of others that followed) for a year! 2 weeks of anxiety symptoms is nothing, believe me.
    Even now I still get it when I feel really nervous about something.

And I'm sorry to hear your grandmother died of this. It's an awful disease.
    But it's only hereditery in 10% of cases, which is extremely low! And at your age, the chances of you having it are extremely low. So having had the fear myself I know how debilitating it can be, but it's just anxiety

Thanks for your support. I'm really afraid as you said.

It is so debilitating, and annoy me 24/7 since sometimes i think i will die!

So scary and sad :(

Well seems to me that its anxiety for sure and the fact that your grandma dies it maybe create a shock for you and it activated anxiety in you

Quote Originally Posted by amck View Post
    Thanks for your support. I'm really afraid as you said.

It is so debilitating, and annoy me 24/7 since sometimes i think i will die!

So scary and sad :(
    i sometimes worry about ALS along with my heart and brain but what you need to tell yousrelf is how rare the condition is for a young guy like you, hope teh anxiety passes quick

Thank you, really, thank you all !

The symptoms gone in exception for the rigidity in my hands, in my right hand specifically.

I have to take some exams the next weeks, and today i'll go to my GP with more blood tests.

I will keep you informed.

Thank you again, this is really very debilitating some days and i can't stop think about it and my future

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information