Thread: Traveling and GAD

Traveling and GAD

Hi I'm Jesse, from the United States. Long story short I've had general anxiety disorder since a very young age, but I always just figured I had some kind of stomach disorder. As I grew up I realized certain situations would trigger my stomach aches and nausea. Then everything kind of came to me that I had general anxiety disorder. I'm constantly experiencing anxiety from who knows what and suffer from some other symptoms. Basically I have posted this because I'm looking for some advice. I get really really bad symptoms of IBS from certain situations. Such as going on dates,travel, public transportation and parties to name a few. This summer my best friend and I are going to Europe for about a month and I'd normally be so excited about it and think of it as such a positive event in my life, but I already feel nervous about it to be honest. That long flight with the small toilet in the back, the airplane food probably won't sit well since I do have on and off panic attacks on airplanes etc. I also am very weird about how often I eat, about once every couple of hours or else I get very shaky as I suffer from hypoglycemia. So I believe the easy solution to that is to bring a backpack and go shopping the day I get there. Anyways I'm very worried about this trip because it's all of the things that trigger my anxiety in one lol, going out to bars/party, public transportation, constantly being with people, sharing rooms/bathrooms, etc. I just want it to be the time of my life and the thought of my anxiety holding me back depresses me like crazy. I just was wondering if anyone's similar, perhaps some pointers and positive reinforcement will help. I remember when I was younger I'd be so happy on vacation(holiday) and so worry free. I just want to get back to that point haha

Re: Traveling and GAD

Hi Jesse,
    Sounds like you and I are peas in a pod. In terms of eating on the plane, I actually bring my own, tummy friendly foods with me. Cucumbers, cheese, carrots, granola bars and even a hardboiled egg (with no yolk because that is the stinky part lol). Airline companies can't stop you from bringing your own food on board (unless it goes against an international law of course like bringing seed fruits into a foreign country).
    I also have started booking Airbnb apartments that have kitchens. It's two fold: I can cook if I want to and feel anxious but also then I am just staying in a place with my travel partner and not in hostels with a bunch of strangers (been there, done that).
    Also,if you havent already, be sure to tell your friend about your anxieties. Tell him or her that you may need to have a day just to chill out and wind down from the hustle and bustle if traveling.
    I know you can do it because I did (and am right now! Im in Thailand having a gnarly panic attack but at least I'm in Thailand, right?). Best of luck to you! Enjoy yourself but remember to know your limits while you are there.
    Last edited by LovesTravelWillPanic; 29-09-16 at 02:14. Reason: Typo

Thread Information