Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram to Fluoxetine.

Citalopram to Fluoxetine.

Hi, has anybody swapped from Cit to Fluox and if so any adverse effects.

I am on 40mg of Cit daily and 20mg of Propranolol as and when needed. Been on Cit for 12 months, started on 20mg and on 40mg for the last 6 months. Now whilst everything has settled down and apart from mornings, where I can be a little anxious, I now feel ok.

But, I have lost the desire to do the thing's I used to like doing, fishing, cycling, golf and my G.P. noticing that I have put on weight asked why I have stopped, so I told him that I had lost the desire to do these and other things, like cutting the lawn. He had a chat with a friend of his who is a Psychiatrist and they both agree that a change to Fluoxetine 20mg should keep the anxiety at bay and stimulate my interest again.

So the plan is to stop the Cit for 3 days and then start the Fluox, he says that because I am used to a SSRI there shouldnt be any bad withdrawl symptoms and I should be ok on the new stuff.

Any thoughts.

Re: Citalopram to Fluoxetine.

Have been off Cit for 3day's as per GP's instruction, slight dizziness, minor brain zaps, but nothing awful at all.

Have now started the Fluox and apart from very mild anxiety and low mood I am hoping things will now improve.

2nd day on Fluox and 4th day off Cit. Still as above with nothing awful occurring.

Mood seems to have lifted slightly and far better sleep last night, no anxiety feelings but that is probably because I take a 20mg Propranolol at 5am when I wake up, whether I need it or not. Tomorrow I am going to stop taking it and see how I feel.

Hi
    I don't personally have experience of this as I have only been on flux (day 24) and have also been on Propranalol 40mg once a day for a week. I think I would be better with 20mg Propranalol that I could take twice a day.
    I think it is a really good idea for you to document how this is for you on this forum as I am sure many people are switched from one anti d to another. Well done and good luck.

Hi! Yes, I agree with Mazza, it is good to document as can help other people, especially if they are nervous about it. You seem to be doing well which is great. I wish continued success with it. Tracy

Thanks Mazza27 and Mermaid16.

4th day on Fluox and day 6 off Cit, still feel ok, slight buzzing in ear and dizzy zaps, but that about it.

Big concern for me yesterday and fully expected to be a bag of nerves with anxiety, but so far its manageable, still taking a 20mg of Propranolol in the early am.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

Mazza27, my GP who has been great throughout all this, has told me I can take 20mg of Prop, 3 times a day as and when needed and also in times of anxiety, 2 x 20mg together,but only as a one off emergency measure.

5th day on Fluox and 7th off Cit. Feeling tired (but I am a poor sleeper) anxiety and fear starting to worsen, hope this is the med change over as the Cit should have totally gone and the Fluox just starting, a kind of no mans land scenario.

Don't forget you can use your Propranalol to help you though. Do you have Diazipam as well? Useful if you feel really anxious while Changing meds. Have a good day

I have Prop 20mg and usually take one at 4.30am to give it time to start, this I find helps with the 6am onwards anxiety that sometime occurs.

I have about 3 Diaz, low dose, left from a pack of 7 my GP gave me 5 month's ago, initially to help me sleep but found there effectiveness wore off so don't bother with them.

So I will keep going as I am and hope that after about 4 weeks the Fluox should start it job.

Thanks for your advise though, as other peoples views are necessary.

Also today I have been to my meditation/acupuncture session, which I dont know if the acupuncture does anything but the meditation can calm me down and it is run by a marvelous person, Nik, who only asks for a donation of approx £3, I give a tenner, but even so a kind person.

I also now go to clinical hypnotherapy once a week and as a disbeliever to start with, I now find this very helpful and relaxing, plus, the girl who does it has a background in mental health and can explain quiet a few things that the N.H.S. "experts" could not.

All in all a good day today.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information