Thread: Want to wean off Mirtazapine but afraid to

Want to wean off Mirtazapine but afraid to

I was put on mirtazapine in May 2013 after I was attacked by my brother a few months before. I was low, anxious and agoraphobic. I was desperate. I couldn't eat and didn't sleep for 6 months. I weighed around 6 stone and felt ill. I am so against meds but gave in and took them but I said I'd only take 7.5mg. It helped, I felt calmer, I worked on the agoraphobia, I slept and ate well. I gained a stone and felt really well. Then at the end of 2013 my family got intouch causing me intense fear and anxiety and I was forced to attend my mums wedding. My anxiety got too much for me having to see my brother there and I started feeling full of anxiety and intrusive thoughts. My GP suggested increasing to 15mg. I agreed so in December 2013 I increased. I have been on 15mg since.

I have always worried mirt didn't help me that much since being on the 15mg but I am much calmer and although I still have anxiety and agoraphobia on and off life is calmer and I cope better if family get intouch. I sleep so well and I love food.

I became ill last summer with chronic fatigue and I was sure mirtazapine was a big reason, I feel tired all the time no matter what time I take it the night before, i suffer from unreality feelings and zombie feeling every day. My GP said it sounded like CFS and I have an underactive thyroid. I have been very unwell with the thyroid but i have wondered if mirt was a big fatigue cause.

I also have high cholesterol (6.9) GP not worried as I am young and healthy diet but I know mirtazapine raises cholesterol. Should I be concerned about mirtazapine doing this?

I have gained a lot of weight on the drug but i was always a painful 6 stone, max 90lbs. Now I am 8 stone 10lbs (122lbs) at 5ft tall and can't seem to lose any on mirtazapine. Is it possible to lose weight?

I just worry has mirtazapine caused any of my health issues, the fatigue, high cholesterol? and can it have an effect on health the longer you're on it. I have been on it 3 years now and very worried that I shouldn't be on it so long.

I spoke to my GP and he doesn't think right now is the right time to withdraw. I have had a tough year. I overcame alot of my anxiety and life was better than last year I became ill physically due to my thyroid failing. I have been bed ridden at times, I have 3 children to care for, no support other than my husband as I have no family and it has been really tough on us. Finally I think thyroxine is helping and I am feeling a little better in myself but it's been a very hard year getting the correct dose and back on my feet. My GP said right now I need to concentrate on getting over the ill health and the chronic fatigue it's caused. With it it brought back my anxiety and agoraphobia so I have gone back to therapy to get back on top of them again. I know the ill health has set me back as I was doing very well.

So I know my GP is right, I just worry it will be harder to wean off when I am ready and the fact it obviously hasn't helped my anxiety this time round makes me wonder why I bother taking it now. I do sleep, eat and am a stronger person for being on it but I still struggle with social anxiety and agoraphobia, well since this setback the last year.

I have also read some scary withdrawal stories online so i worry I will always be too scared to come off it.

I just needed to post, I have been really worried about all of this.

Thanks
    B

Re: Want to wean off Mirtazapine but afraid to

I was on 45mgs of mirtazipine for over 8 years and weaned off it over a year or so. It can be done and it is doable. There were a few challenging weeks but not too bad. I certainly did not think I would not be able to do it. Positive attitude and all that. Medication affects people in different ways so don't believe some of the horror stories will happen to you.

Thread Information