Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber band trick

Rubber band trick

Has anybody tried this method to cope with panic attacks in social situations? I normally have bad panic attacks when I'm waiting to pay for groceries.

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nFp2FSZu774

Re: Rubber band trick

Is there a particular reason why this situation spikes your anxiety?

Yeah,I think its because when I'm shopping my mind is busy and I'm generally ok, then at the tills I'm just waiting and there is a lot of people there, in front and behind me. On several occasions I hand had to leave the line, pretend I have forgotten something,bore pretend to get it and rejoin the line..

That's very common, I've been through that one myself and there have been threads about supermarkets on here with loads of people saying the same. You want to flee because you feel under pressure, trapped, etc. It's the same in needing exits. A very common panic scenario. I would get it the further I ventured into large indoor stores as the exit became too far away if I felt nauseous.

If that's the rubber band thing where you wear it around your wrist and twang it, that's aversion therapy which was used in alcoholism. I've never tried aversion.

If your breathing changes, try Calming Breathing Technique. Focus on that breathing.

There's various things I tried like breathing, having an object in my pocket to play with, focusing on an object intently for several minutes, etc.

Hopefully you will find something that helps you. Once you beat it though, you will be fine from there without ant techniques as you will have retrained your mind not to fear such situations. Mine has gone these days.

Yes the twanging method,I have found focusing my mind on something else helps a lot. Focussing on my breathing seems to make matters worse for me. Sometimes I have got my phone out in the line and started playing a tennis game which helps but when people see you more interested in a game than keeping the line moving they get irritated, which is understandable lol.

I'll try getting a cool keyfob today I can play with maybe. And yes its exactly what you said the distance between me and the exit too, I normally find myself fine near the doors or perfect on the way out..

Thanks for your reply

I prefer not to use distractions, and to deal with the core issue.

Try this, when you are in the line, estimate how long it will be before you are served, and leaving the shop.

It will probably only be for 1 - 5 minutes.

You can endure a few minutes of discomfort can't you? In just a minute or two you'll be walking free...

So rather than fight it, embrace it for a few minutes. Eventually it will go away, and you'll have a tremendous boost in confidence.

Many thanks for your replys

I've started bagging my own groceries to give me something to do while I wait to be rung up. I'm OK waiting now, but in the beginning it was hard not to run out of the store. Now I just bag because I like to.

I think if we did that in UK before paying for goods, the security would jump out on us lol...

Breathing is the key, my therapist told me to sing quietly to myself, the singing automatically controls your breathing without you being conscious of it ... I find it hard to focus on breathing techniques as this then further highlights that i'm not ok....
    If your singing (quietly) if people hear so what, they generally look at you and smile, which I find also helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information