Thread: 20 days on Fluoxetine and nausea getting worse

20 days on Fluoxetine and nausea getting worse

Hi
    I am on day 20 of fluoxetine and it beginning to have positive impact on my anxiety over the last couple of days.
    However I am feeling really shaky and nauseas in the mornings and am wondering if it's the Fluzoetine that could be causing it?
    I have been on anti biotics and thought that was causing the nausea but have finished them now and the nausea is still there.
    I am due to see the GP for a follow up on Thursday. I have taken them once or twice before and did not suffer any side effects so I have been surprised how bad they have been this time. The first two and half weeks my anxiety was much worse and I have not been able to go to work or go out anywhere. Have not been able to eat and have lost almost a stone in weight since I started them.
    I don't really want to give up or change as it feels like starting all over again - especially as I can feel my anxiety beginning to lesson a bit.

Re: 20 days on Fluoxetine and nausea getting worse

Quote Originally Posted by mazza27 View Post
    Hi
    I am on day 20 of fluoxetine and it beginning to have positive impact on my anxiety over the last couple of days.
    However I am feeling really shaky and nauseas in the mornings and am wondering if it's the Fluzoetine that could be causing it?
    I have been on anti biotics and thought that was causing the nausea but have finished them now and the nausea is still there.
    I am due to see the GP for a follow up on Thursday. I have taken them once or twice before and did not suffer any side effects so I have been surprised how bad they have been this time. The first two and half weeks my anxiety was much worse and I have not been able to go to work or go out anywhere. Have not been able to eat and have lost almost a stone in weight since I started them.
    I don't really want to give up or change as it feels like starting all over again - especially as I can feel my anxiety beginning to lesson a bit.
    Hi

I'm currently comming on 6 weeks on taking 20mg Fluxoetine for anxiety. The side effects can include feeling sick on this medication. However I never had this side effect. Instead I had tiredness, weight loss and mood swings which made it difficult for me to work. The side effects can take a good few weeks to settle down according to my doctor. It's only really now that my tiredness has gone away as my body is getting use to the medication. With this sort of medication it can take anywhere from four to eight weeks for it to work.

Thanks Punkyfish
    I have not been able to work either for the last month and I am on a zero hours contract which means I don't get paid so I would like to get back to work asap.
    The nausea was not so bad this morning but I still feel shaky and faint every. Or ing and very tired. It takes me until about 11.00am every day to perk up a little.
    Do you find he fluoxetine has helped your anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by mazza27 View Post
    Thanks Punkyfish
    I have not been able to work either for the last month and I am on a zero hours contract which means I don't get paid so I would like to get back to work asap.
    The nausea was not so bad this morning but I still feel shaky and faint every. Or ing and very tired. It takes me until about 11.00am every day to perk up a little.
    Do you find he fluoxetine has helped your anxiety?
    The tiredness was a killer for me. I was sleeping a lot during the day and night but it seems to of calmed down for me now. My side effects are ok at the moment but my anxiety is still there, I'm afraid, although it has improved my mood a bit. I've had my dosage increased though as my GP feels that my current dosage is to low hence why I still have the anxiety but again I'm only on week six. A friend of mine has been on Fluoxetine for four months and now has no anxiety.

Thank you. I saw GP today and he said continue with same dose for another month. He has also put me on propeanalol - changing over from Bisoprolol - so I am hoping that will help me get through the side effects of the flux.

It takes just over a month for this med to even reach steady-state in your blood plasma due to it's long half life. The closer you get to that point, the more stable the dose is becoming and plenty of people on here have struggled around week 4. If my memory serves, this is the point where the med impacts on something that can cause more side effects. The research is quoted on the Wiki page If you have a look.

I have been on Cit and Fluox and I definitely think that all ssri's have this tired and nausea effect. To what degree differs with individuals, I fall asleep at about 4pm in the chair and a bomb wouldn't wake me, I try to fight it but its hopeless, plus violent yawning bouts, but nausea for me is just a faint feeling in the stomach and no more.

Keep going and if you trust your GP do as he says.

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Propranolol I think you will find, takes away the physical effects of anxiety by getting the brain to slow down the heartbeat, thereby reducing adrenalin which causes the churning effect in the stomach.

Thanks. Am now day 26 and thing slowly beginning to improve. Still feel anxious and shaky in the mornings but better the rest of the day. Taking 20 mg Propranalol morning and evening and can increase dose to 40 mg twice a day if need be.

Thread Information