Thread: ALS fear

ALS fear

Well I have been feeling pretty good in my mental state lately, but I have been having this persistent weakness throughout the left side of my body from my foot to my hand. It comes and goes, but lately it has been pretty consistent and now it is really scaring me. I'm 25 and have no people in my family with ALS so is this just the anxiety affecting me even when I am not feeling anxious? it is worrying the hell out if me now

Re: ALS fear

ALS is progressive. The weakness doesn't come and go. It also starts off localised before spreading to other parts of the body. It's a pretty rare illness, too.

It's worrying the hell out of you because you're letting it.

ALS and MS fears are some the most common fears of anxeity. So we have to open
    Our eyes why is it? I think because it's hard to imagine anxeity can cause your body to twitch everyday. Or weakness from the stress and anxeity. They are both rare and anxeity is not rare. Also if you have seen a doctor they are the professional not us who just google.

Believe me when I tell you this I still get worried over them and my body twitches everyday all over. But I have been to the doctor and they don't seem worried. Mine also didn't start till 2 weeks after I went to the ER which in more looks like it was from the anxeity/ stress and panic attacks. I have been to the doctor 4 times this year and had 2 cbc's done and urinalysis and some other blood work done. And I'm told I am fine every time.

We all have to move on from this and live life. It's not easy and I'm hoping my body will recover and get back to how I use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerathlete9 View Post
    Well I have been feeling pretty good in my mental state lately, but I have been having this persistent weakness throughout the left side of my body from my foot to my hand. It comes and goes, but lately it has been pretty consistent and now it is really scaring me. I'm 25 and have no people in my family with ALS so is this just the anxiety affecting me even when I am not feeling anxious? it is worrying the hell out if me now
    ALS, especially in young people, and when it's not in your family, is such a rare disease it shouldn't be on any of our radars as something to worry about. It is though - many of us have had our wobbles about it. The thing is to that "weakness" is such a subjective and vague thing and can describe many things, and what you mean by "weakness" you're experiencing, and what the websites you're no doubt reading about ALS (stop reading those websites) mean by "weakness" are likely be completely different. We're not qualified to interpret these things.

As others have said, if it comes and goes it generally rules the horrible degenerative stuff out.

Thread Information