I'm writing this as much for myself as for everyone else that needs some reassurance. Hopefully the next time I have a flare-up of IBS I'll remember to look back at my posts and save myself a lot of anxiety.

I've suffered from IBS since I was a child, usually brought on by anxiety but often triggered by bad eating habits and encouraged by anxiety due to the symptoms.

Like most Health Anxiety sufferers I always think the worst, Google my symptoms and find something terminally wrong with me sound familiar?
And each time I get a new bout of IBS I do it ALL over again!!!

The symptoms aren't always the same and new symptoms cause new worries. The worry prolongs and magnifies the symptom.

I'm going to try and list all the symptoms I can remember and I'm sure you'll find yours on the list.

Lower right hand side pain (I always think this is appendicitis)
Pain around navel area
Pain below ribs
Upper left hand side pain
Chest pain (I always think this one is my heart)
Back pain
Pain moving from chest all the way down to groin area.
Bloating
Alot of wind with constant belching
Stomach gurgling and grumbling
Diarrhea
Followed by constipation (without taking any medication)
Acid reflux
Burning in throat on swallowing food (due to acid)
Complete loss of appetite
Weight loss
Dry mouth
Bad taste in mouth

All of the above will disappear if I can get to sleep (even just for a nap). But symptoms return as soon as I'm fully awake and start focusing on my stomach.

Because I get really anxious when I have these symptoms they can continue for months. I've had flare-ups that have lasted for six months where I've tried eliminating every food I can think of that might cause symptoms and I've been down to only rice and water and STILL in pain and the weight has just dropped off me which of course feeds the imagination....(I've even had to hide the bathroom scale away). As soon as I accept that it's the anxiety that's causing the symptoms, something seems to click in my brain and the symptoms leave like magic.

What else helps?
Hot water bottle for pain.
Walking regularly
Drinking plenty of water
The FODMAP diet. Even though my IBS is triggered by anxiety it seems that my gut becomes tender and eating the right foods definitely does help. Or maybe just the fact that I'm trying to do something about it helps....

The thing is, the symptoms do go. And I can be fine for months and months and eat normally again.

I've given up going to the doctor, the diagnosis is always the same. They give us pills and send us for tests but what else can they really do? we're looking for reassurance to relieve our anxieties. Another test is one way of providing this.

At the end of the day it's the anxiety that controls my IBS. I'm sure a lot of you will agree with me.