Thread: Palpitations when in bed/falling asleep

Palpitations when in bed/falling asleep

Hi,

I wanted to check to see if anyone else experiences the same.

When I am at rest of in bed about to fall asleep I seem to get frequent palpitations for some reason. I also have woken up at night and when I try to fall back asleep they come back with a bit of a vengence.

I also notice when I start walking I sometimes get a heavy thump in my chest.

It's kind of nerve wracking but after all the tests that I have minus any invasive studies like EP, they say it is normal skipped beats. I am tempted to ask for another holter to see if I can capture these ones that seem to happen at rest/in bed.

thanks for any advice!

Re: Palpitations when in bed/falling asleep

Lots of people have the same symptoms as you, and usually they have the same palpitations during the day, but they don't notice. When you are laying on bed before sleeping, your heart is slower, probably 20% slower than average, and you are not focused on anything else. PVCs at slow heart rate feel a lot worse than fast HR and that's probably the reason why you only feel them at this time of the day,.

But it can be simply "positional" PVCs. I have them sometimes when I change position, when I stand up, when I sit, when I lay on my side, etc.

I saw many people complaining of the exact same symptoms and in 99% of the cases it means nothing, they're just benign PVCs.

Hi Trus

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that yes they are more noticeable at night it's funny how you still feel there is a problem lingering.

It does not happen repeatedly each night, maybe one to three nights in a row and does not happen again for a long time. During the day I get a few but try to ignore them or else you get into that cycle of worry.

Whether or not root cause is anxiety (I am sure everyone would say yes ) it's interesting how body responds when at rest.

Thanks again.

Divine

Hello Divine,

I think that's normal. There's no rule for the frequency of ectopics, it's impossible to find a pattern. Usually I never have many PVCs when I am laying, but sometimes, for some strange reason, I have them with a much bigger frequency than "normal" ones.

For example, in a normal day I can feel 5-6 PVCs / hour during the day and zero after I lay.

But sometimes I can feel 20 ou 30 in a hour when I am laying. It's rare, and I can't tell you the reason, but I have them for more than 20 years! And I'm still here

Good luck and I hope it helps you

Thread Information