Thread: Helpful tips and virtual hugs wanted

Unhappy Helpful tips and virtual hugs wanted

Hi all,
    I am currently sitting on the beautiful island of Koh Lanta in Thailand having what is either a travel intestinal bug or a panic attack ( as mine manifest themselves in conjunction with my IBS - oh joy). It's just me and my spouse on our dream 10 year anniversary trip and I am restrained to the apartment we rented as I need to be near a bathroom :(. I made it on this trip with little to no problems aside from small anxiety about the flights, trains and boats. Let me say that I HATE flying and am always scared of vomiting on any form of transport because of my sensitive tummy. It's embarrassing. I'm in my early 30s and I still get car sick. I have worked with a therapist for 4 years now and learned a lot of good skills but when I am away, I seem to forget all of them.
    We spent 6 days in Japan before flying to Thailand, all of which I am very proud of myself for how I was able to cope with my anxiety. Then today happened. We only have today on this adorable little island before we head to another and my anxiety has forced myself and my hubby to be stuck indoors (well to be fair, there was also a crazy tropical storm earlier today). I just feel sad and kind of defeated that anxiety has reared its ugly, exhausting face and it's not just affecting me. Any kind words of encouragement, tips for moving to the next place, etc., is really appreciated right now.

Re: Helpful tips and virtual hugs wanted

Anxiety will rear its head when you are most vulnerable, and tired. Your brain is more attentive to threats when you are physically unwell.

So that is a natural reaction. Do not compound your anxiety and stress, by getting stressed and anxious about it.

Accept it.

Focus on getting physically better, and the anxiety will subside.

Everything you have mentioned are normal feelings for 99% of people that travel the world. Very few people like flying. Very few people like stomach bugs.

So don't let your anxiety hold you back.

Do something small to break the cycle of worry. Go for a short walk, and grab a cool drink.

Above all, make sure you are fueling your body to recover from the stomach bug.

Re: Helpful tips and virtual hugs wanted

Thank you SLA. My hubby took me for a blustery walk on the beach and I took a dip in the pool to try and calm my nerves. I'm nervous about having to leave here tomorrow and get in a car for 2 hours (that I am not driving) and then a 30 mimin longtail ride. I travel to conquer my fears and work with my anxieties but an feeling a bit defeated about now

Thread Information