View Poll Results: what things do you think caused it?

Voters
586. You may not vote on this poll
  • A single traumatic experience

162 27.65%
  • Started suddenly with no real explanation

113 19.28%
  • Gradually increased by itself over time (with no real explanation)

142 24.23%
  • Generally increased stress, pressure, responsibility etc (like a new job)

169 28.84%
  • Parents/upbringing

117 19.97%
  • Bad crowd or neighbourhood

13 2.22%
  • University

37 6.31%
  • Loneliness

75 12.80%
  • Being told what to do often or strict surroundings

37 6.31%
  • Something about life/the world is scary

98 16.72%
  • Alcohol, smoking, drugs or something similar

89 15.19%
  • other (you can let us know in the thread =) )

56 9.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you think triggered your anxiety or made it much worse?

what do you think triggered your anxiety or made it much worse?

hiya, i know there have been threads about this before but it's interesting to have them every so often i think

i've made it so you can select more than one option, so just tick whichever ones apply to you i have tried to keep it as broad as possible but obviously it's hard for me to judge!

i included the one about life/the world as it was what my friend said was the reason for hers, it's just for when you can't describe it but the world is just kinda scary.

Hoppi

EDIT -- ok all done! i've tried to make it quite umm... comprehensive but it was tricky so let's see what comes out of this! to be honest quite a few apply to me lol
    Last edited by hoppipolla; 29-03-07 at 15:35.

Re: what do you think triggered your anxiety or made it much worse?

oh, i forgot to put one for people whose anxiety may have come out of depression, like depression can come out of anxiety. i'm not sure how possible or common or whatever it is for it to go the other way, but i would be interested to hear if anyone has experienced that

bye

I ticked other as I didn't realise that multiple answers were accepted.

I do feel a lot of my situation lies with my past, particularly my early years. I didn't suffer any abuse or such like but I did have a rather isolate upbringing, mostly be my maternal grandmother. I didn't really mix with other kids till I was 5. Since then I have been playing a sort of catch up but I am continually questioning my abilities etc.

Depression has been a significant factor also but I guess there is a bit of "chicken and egg" there.

My anxieties lie in both general and social...which is probably why I am sat here alone right now!!
    Last edited by LickeyEndBlues; 29-03-07 at 14:50. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by LickeyEndBlues View Post
    I ticked other as I didn't realise that multiple answers were accepted.

I do feel a lot of my situation lies with my past, particularly my early years. I didn't suffer any abuse or such like but I did have a rather isolate upbringing, mostly be my maternal grandmother. I didn't really mix with other kids till I was 5. Since then I have been playing a sort of catch up but I am continually questioning my abilities etc.

Depression has been a significant factor also but I guess there is a bit of "chicken and egg" there.

My anxieties lie in both general and social...which is probably why I am sat here alone right now!!
    i just made the bit about that bold so it's easier to see

yeah isolation and loneliness has a big effect... it probably wasn't the CAUSE of mine... but it may be the reason it is not going away yet.

Mine has gradually built up over time.... with loneliness and lack of control over situation creating my major peaks!

Although for some reason I was fairly bad before the docs said you have anxiety... but as soon as i was told that I got a million times worse... and changin my life didn't improve things as they have in the past... I mean i've been really happy for months but still had physical anxiety symptoms and inability to stop worrying!! I reckon with me anyway being told I was anxious made it worse lol!!!

Iticked came on suddenly,Why [if only i knew] No seriously, i litterely went to bed one night and woke up feeling anxious. Family members ask the question , what, when , why. they will tell you that nothing bothered me at all ,i just got on with life, and anything that it through at me i delt with. i do remember my anxiety stared in 1992, it was august 27th and i was due to fly to spain , last minute holiday, got to airport, fine then they called our flight, and that,s when it happened. a rush of adreinline thought my body . that was it .came home feeling that i had let my hubby and daughter down ,went straightaway to see my g.p. who i might add laughed.TOLD ME TO TAKE A VALIUM and get the next flight out. Well that,s me, maybe i will go to bed tonight and in the morning i will wake up and it will all have been a dream. WHO AM I KIDDING.

I've had short episodes of anxiety here and there over the years, it never used to last long and then it would go away. But this time it won't go away. My life has been turned upside down, spun around and given a good kicking by a variety of events over the past 3 years, I thought I'd coped with it all and come out the other side HA ! But it seems its all been stored up, turned into depression and then pumped back as adrenaline into my stomach ! Lol with hindsight I should have seen it coming

My anxiety started as a result of depression that I was trying to ignore. the more I tried to ignore it, the more my brain kept on trying to make me accept it (thats my analsis anyway! Move over top psychologists...I'm coming for your job!)

happyone
    xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

This particular bout of anxiety started when I had a tetanus booster. I had a panic attack 10 mins later, this has been followed by 6 months of the worst anxiety I've ever had. Think I'm getting better now, but I'm not out of the woods yet.
    I've had anxiety before, but never like this.

I ticked parents/upbringing and world is scarey.
    My brother was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was about eight years old and he was always violent, aggressive and unpredictable. I guess being in a home where there is violence or an aggressive atmosphere everyday just wore me down bit by bit and when I was 15 I had my first panic attack and at 16 had a nervous breaddown. I never felt 'safe' in my own home as a child and teenager becasue my parents let my brother walk all over them, my siblings and myself.

Also my father is a very, very anxious person by nature and I could even sense as a young child how nervous he was and I therefore never trusted him to be able to protect me. He always said things about how 'hard' life is and how there is no happiness to be had in this world, so when you grow up with a parent like this it does make you see the world as a threatening and dangerous place.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information