Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For pulisa x.

Re: For pulisa x.

It'll be normal to feel anxious having an MRI, I bet, like my dad. You don't have to have a full on anxiety disorder, say, to be on edge. The staff will be used to nervousness.

Yes, Pulisa, that makes sense to keep it from them. Doctors are very strange when it comes to things like stress anyway, aren't they? Amazing what nonsense they come out with. I remember seeing a gp over 20 years ago about psoriasis and said I'd been stressed and he said he'd never heard that stress can cause skin problems!

You'll be fine, you're in the system now, you won't get overlooked. Xxx

Hi Pulisa, haven't been coming on here as much due to being quite busy. I hope you are doing alright. You have always been so supportive to me, remembering when I am going through a tough time, etc and have kind words. I know what you mean about having to hide mentioning the anxiety because it seems to trump getting a diagnosis sometimes. I hope you get some answers though and feel better soon. Keep us posted

Pulisa, do you remember I had an MRI last winter for my back? I was absolutely terrified, as I hate small spaces. I was in there for about 45 minutes and I survived! They give you a panic button and will take you out within like 20 seconds if you need it and also talk you through everything and how much is left. I actually then had to get a second one 2 days later because they forgot to do one scan! That one wasn't half as bad because I knew what to expect and knew I could manage it!

I hope that you find out what is causing your symptoms - you know that I am also pushing to find out what is going on with me, it is the unknown which is the worst!

My scan is on Friday and will last for 1 hour 20 mins. That's a hell of a lot of seconds

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    A doctor in the past told me never to mention that I had anxiety because there is a tendency to blame symptoms on anxiety if there is a known diagnosis. She told me to let them eliminate all the physical stuff first.
    I'd say you can tell them you have anxiety about the MRI without giving away all your anxiety issues.

My dad had to have an MRI under general as he was so badly claustrophobic.

When I had one many years ago I was able to dose up on diazepam but was still a bit of a mess. Having them know meant they were very kind and supportive through it and it wasn't as awful as I expected.

Hope it goes okay for you

xx

Thanks, Sharon. I will 'fess up. I really didn't think it would be that long and I've no choice but to have it done xx

Yeah, no 'shame' in saying you're nervous having an MRI. I know someone else who was so claustrophobic she couldn't have it done at all, quite detrimentally to their illness too.

Wow, that does sound like a long time, Pulisa, but as people have been saying there is a panic button and you'll be out in a jiffy. But it's amazing what strength you'll find when you have to.

On a tiny tiny scale, I remember in my teens and very early 20s being phobic about the dentist, it'd suddenly wake me up just thinking about it. But then I had toothache and so I went for a check up and I needed a filling. You'd think I'd need tranquilising for the appointment but I just realised it was something I needed to do.

Yeah, I agree. Many people are anxious about hospitals & tests for obvious reasons so just use that rather than give them an "out" by proclaiming an anxiety disorder.

If only we had Bones McCoy and his little handheld thingy! On Star Trek you lie on a bed and their scanners just zoom top-to-toe & back and it's all done!

Since you can take in MP3's (never new that!), is there anything that would help you to get through it? Maybe a recording of someone kicking Dr Christian Jessen up the arse on loop? (I know how you love him! )

That would be good Where has that creep got to anyway? Just my luck that he turns up at my hospital to question me for "Embarrassing Bodies"-I'd certainly qualify with a dodgy rectum and I'm sure he'd be fascinated...

Pulisa, I've been racking my brain to think of ways for you to stay calm and get through this while you are in there.
    All I could think of is what I used to do when travelling to keep my mind busy and occupied.
    I.e. Playing word games in your head, like going through the A-Z and thinking of dog breeds, countries, animals, boy's names, girl's names and so on. It might help.

I'm also claustrophobic, which won't be a surprise as I seem to be phobic about almost everything these days. And the hardest part will be the run-up and adjusting to being in there. I don't know whether you are allowed to move your hands, but if you circle the inners of your palms gently, they are one of your stress points and I do this a lot in meetings and it is quite comforting. x

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information