Thread: Checking my pulse all the time- how do I stop?

Checking my pulse all the time- how do I stop?

I've recently developed the habit of checking my pulse quite a number of times a day and I think I am getting a bit obsessed with it and would really like to break the habit.

When checking, I have never found anything alarming, no irregularities that I can detect (other than the occasional ectopic which my doc assured me years ago is perfectly normal and I don't worry about). Occasionally it is a bit fast which of course worries me as I have HA and occasionally I worry it is a bit slow (no pleasing me) but generally it is regular and steady.

I think it's become a bit of a security blanket thing for me, if I feel a bit off or hot or anything, or even if I don't, the first thing I do is check my pulse. I used to do this a few years ago, not as frequently, and I can't remember how I stopped doing it then, I just did.

Does anyone have any tips about how I can break this habit? I know it is doing me no good checking my pulse all the time and really all it is leading to is further anxiety but how do I stop?

Re: Checking my pulse all the time- how do I stop?

It sounds to me that you're actually quite well adjusted to be honest. You know it's a habit but it's not a real worry for you as you are aware that heart rhythms can change throughout the day and night depending on what we're doing (I've suffered with ectopic beats for many years and live with them. I know that my heart is a good heart and looks after me quite well) But as with all habits, thry're hard to break. However. ..my advice would be, because you don't seem to be in constant panic about this, to not beat yourself up about checking your pulse, just go with it if doing it comforts you. After all, you say you stopped once before and you will again. There are far more awful habits to kick than this one

ISB x

Thank you, ISB. That was such a kind post. The truth is that while I can be quite well-adjusted about it, at times it worries me silly and I really want to stop. It's not good for my mental health to be checking my pulse every ten minutes (on a good day) and I really want to stop ��

I do this as well, and I think it causes a lot of anxiety in me. I think it has something to do with my body weight -- i'm thin and I think i feel my heartbeat a lot easier so it's easy to focus on. I can relate! Also glad i'm not alone. It worries me silly too and really takes a lot of my focus away from other things that I used to enjoy. Sometimes distractions help, especially talking with friends and family and really trying to focus on conversation. We'll get through this!!

I do this as well.

I do this too! It has become a security blanket for me as well. I know that I started doing this when I started with palpitations. I think I was always trying to catch it in the beginning...see how it began or something so that I could try to control it (good luck with that I know). How have I stopped doing it so regularly? I got the apple watch...it has the beats per minute on it. This way if I feel like my heart is racing or going too slow all I have to do is press the button, and I have my answer. So far it has worked

I do this too. I also have the Apple Watch and it tracks it day an night. Mine scares me about being so slow. Usually when I'm sitting it's around 52-58. I've posted about my heart rate being slow about 6 years ago yet I'm still concerned.

Thread Information