Thread: Roof of mouth yellow?

Roof of mouth yellow?

This might be something absolutely stupid and childish, but I'm sort of in the middle of a small panic outbreak and thought I'd just ask here instead of googling and making matters worse (let's say I just looked at the first page results and closed it instantly haha). I decided to look around my mouth because I've been having a bit of dull toothache - probably from my dodgy sinuses - and I shined a bit of light inside. And there's a yellow patch at the center of the roof of the mouth? And by that I mean the skin's turned that colour, it's not like build up of dirt or anything. Is this just normal discoloration or something a bit not so good? I do have constant post nasal drip so I don't know whether that contributes to anything?

P.S. Just noticed I may have posted this under the wrong section, sorry if so!

Re: Roof of mouth yellow?

I think odd discolouration in patches is normal inside the mouth. Has it changed (or been noticed) since the last time a doctor or dentist looked in your throat? If the answer is no, or I'm not sure, you are probably okay.

My last dentist appointment was last year, and I think last time a doctor checked my throat was maybe 6 months ago? Neither of them mentioned anything (apart from dentist fixing a couple of teeth). I have no idea whether I've had this all the time or not, but it just doesn't feel right when your whole mouth is pink and there's a light yellow patch just sitting there. I know you should be careful with red or white patches, but this is... odd to say the least haha

It sounds like you shouldn't worry. Unlike the skin outside the body, the surface tissue inside the mouth is a very thin layer directly over blood vessels and all sorts of wondrous thingies, hence a mottled appearance.

Wouldn't call a big patch mottled looking, but I see where you're coming from I just don't see what could be causing yellowness (especially when medical pages don't really like yellow haha), because what's above the mouth top? Only the nasal cavity as far as I know?

Thread Information