Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still scared after the ultrasound

Still scared after the ultrasound

So the ultrasound doctor said that he saw nothing wrong with my pancreas and my GP says that there is no reason to keep worrying about it. But - as I google I read the nightmare stories about pancreas ilnesses often fails to be detected and that scares me stiff. Is ultrasound goog enough to detect cancer og infection of the pancreas? Shall I be at ease now that it is done. My stomach keeps getting worse and I feel some light inflamation of the stomach after every meal. And gnawing pain in the upper abdomen. In my paranoid mind I think pancreatic cancer metastised to the liver; because after all the ultrasound doc detected a larger fat than what is common on m liver; but said it was not due to something dangerous. Shall I now realax or demand CT scanning and endoscopy. I am still scared and I had some severe panic attack today. Dont know what to do. Help me out please.

Re: Still scared after the ultrasound

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    Help me out please.
    You have to help yourself at this point. There's nothing wrong sans a case of mental health disorder in the form of health anxiety which can be treated by a mental health professional and/or meds.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Liver cancer would show in an US. Fat tissue is not Cancer tissue. Cell structure is different. You can see from a review of your posts that the US was never going to give the assurance you seek. Neither will a CT nor an Endo. There are horror stories out there whereby tests missed things. All research can quote false positives and false negatives. We just expect them to be infallible. However, in almost all cases tests + GP opinion + still being alive after a set amount of time passing means you don't have the end stage CA you suspect.

My CBT therapist is moving me through to the 'worse case scenerio' planning in my next session. She raised the question 'what if you got what you fear' - for me thats getting cancer at a stage it's too late to cure it -
    'what would you be fearful of', leaving people behind unsupported, having a painful death, feeling like I have missed out on things that other people will have, and then she turned to question to 'what can you do now so that should the worst case happen you have addressed those fears?'

Find a way to ensure they are supported - practical - life insurance, emotional - create happy memories for them to take comfort in

Painful death - make a living will regarding how I want to be treated, understand options.

Missing out on opportunities - start the bucket list now!

It's going to be a hard session but it is helping me see how I much I am potentially putting my life on hold because of HA.

Maybe it's an exercise to try?

Brilliant post Kathryn x

Quote Originally Posted by Kathryn313 View Post
    Liver cancer would show in an US. Fat tissue is not Cancer tissue. Cell structure is different.

But pancreatic cancer would also be shown, would it? As that is the cancer I fear the most.

Just because you fear something doesn't mean you need to be tested for it. Where do you draw the line? Would you spend the rest of your life going around being tested for pancreatic cancer?

You've had some brilliant responses. At this point, I wonder what more we can do on here, other than be supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by ServerError View Post
    Just because you fear something doesn't mean you need to be tested for it. Where do you draw the line? Would you spend the rest of your life going around being tested for pancreatic cancer?

You've had some brilliant responses. At this point, I wonder what more we can do on here, other than be supportive.

No, it is not that. But: I am scared because I read stories that an abdominal ultrasound may fail to detect a pancreatic tumour. And - why does some people need to take the extremely painful endoscopic ultrasound to detect if it is more than enough to see that the pancreas is clear? Why do I read conflicting stories about this? Why? Why? Just hoped someone could shead a light on that.
    The docs says my pancreas is fine and that the abdominal ultrasound is enough but I still read that it may miss small tumours.
    I feel itching on my body. Burning discomfort in the mid stomach after hot meals. Feeling of icing in my stomach. Tender muscle pains under the ribs. Scary. Very scary. And constipation. And painful stomach cramps. Every day. Why?
    Go on forever? No; if I am alive on year from now without being hospitalised I guess I will put the pan cancer fear to rest.
    But again; should I push for mor testing; for letting them give me enoscopy?

This is sounding like me, I am never convinced of anything the dr says and I freak out about every little thing, but you don't have it dr said.

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid-viking View Post
    No, it is not that. But: I am scared because I read stories that an abdominal ultrasound may fail to detect a pancreatic tumour. And - why does some people need to take the extremely painful endoscopic ultrasound to detect if it is more than enough to see that the pancreas is clear? Why do I read conflicting stories about this? Why? Why? Just hoped someone could shead a light on that.
    The docs says my pancreas is fine and that the abdominal ultrasound is enough but I still read that it may miss small tumours.
    I feel itching on my body. Burning discomfort in the mid stomach after hot meals. Feeling of icing in my stomach. Tender muscle pains under the ribs. Scary. Very scary. And constipation. And painful stomach cramps. Every day. Why?
    Go on forever? No; if I am alive on year from now without being hospitalised I guess I will put the pan cancer fear to rest.
    But again; should I push for mor testing; for letting them give me enoscopy?
    You're not listening to any of the advice given, nor your doctor, but are continuing to read "stories" on the Internet.

You do not NEED more testing. You have no clinical indication for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercime View Post
    You're not listening to any of the advice given, nor your doctor, but are continuing to read "stories" on the Internet.

You do not NEED more testing. You have no clinical indication for it.

But why? Why does someone needs endoscopic ultrasound while they said that abdomnal was enough for me? Why?
    Pan cancer is mmore scary than other cancers which is probably why I am scared of it; and due to the fact that it is more misdiagnosed than other cancers scares me stiff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information