Thread: asbestos ocd

asbestos ocd

Hii am new to this site and could do with some help. I had some work done at home and later on thought about asbestos. I plucked up thecourage to take a sample to take to a testing center and now i believe i was contaminated there. I havnt been able to get into mycar now for three weeks as i believe its contaminated . Sorry for the rushed message but need to set off to work and it takes an hour to walk loli will beback on this pm. Thank yoix

Re: asbestos ocd

Hi and welcome to NMP

What about the clothes you were wearing? And when you got out of the car, you must have gone into your house so if you could contaminate your car it would be the same for your house. You can't, of course, it's just that your irrational thinking has latched onto the car but not advanced to the house which is largely the same, if you see what I mean?

Testing centres will be free of contamination for a reason - they would otherwise cause contamination to those working there and those coming in like you. Legally the staff have to be ensured a safe place to work and there will be H&S standards in place to protect them otherwise they would all be at risk as they would be frequently exposed and that's a significant factor in asbestos.

How else is it affecting you? Is it just your car or are the thoughts affecting you too about being contaminated?

How do you feel about approaching your car in the form of exposure like in ERP therapy? Could you stand near to it for longer & longer periods, then get in for short period which is made longer each time, etc?

Also, you'd need to be exposed to a significant amount of asbestos for a significant amount of time for it to be a concern. Even then, it often doesn't manifest itself as a problem in the body until decades later.

But none of that matters either. Because there is zero chance you or your car are contaminated.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Also, you'd need to be exposed to a significant amount of asbestos for a significant amount of time for it to be a concern. Even then, it often doesn't manifest itself as a problem in the body until decades later.

But none of that matters either. Because there is zero chance you or your car are contaminated.
    And to add to that point, in houses it's normally white asbestos which is the least dangerous kind. It's the blue or brown used in industry that is the really bad stuff.

Thread Information