Thread: Nervous head body shakes and jerks

Nervous head body shakes and jerks

Hi in the last year I've started shaking alot when I'm in close proximity to people. I have ocd and other anxiety issues which are under control at the moment. However the shaking Is starting to affect me alot now, if I go and get my hair done my head starts shaking and jerking or going to the dentist. It's when I have to keep still then once it starts I get more and more anxious about happening so it gets worse. My whole fear around this is people thinking I look like a right wierdo so I bring it on myself and can't control it. I went for a pedicure recently and thought it would be fine as the shakes are usually just in my head but that ended up a nightmare where there lady doing my nails had to hold my leg still! I'm 34 married with a 6 year old, I used to enjoy having my hair or nails done occasionally and I can't do things anymore. My hair hasn't been cut for ages and I haven't been to the dentist for a while either because of the embarrassment of this. I was a bridesmaid recently and had to pretend I wanted to do my own makeup when everyone else got done up because I couldn't stand looking like a jerks shaking wierdo. Any help would be great, I can't keep avoiding these things xthanks

Re: Nervous head body shakes and jerks

I shake but nothing like you do, I tremble outside and "flutter" inside. Mine is caused by stress/depression/anxiety and medication, I think.
    Have you been to see a doctor. I think that you should as this problem is making life miserable for you.
    sorry I can't help but just wanted to let you know that I read your post. I hope that you get more advice from other nmp'ers.
    take care
    Sxx

Thanks for your reply much appreciated 😊 not been to doctors, might have to I think xxx

If your jerks and shaking is caused by anxiety (excess adrenaline)
    Or
    Even if it's not. People can have tremors with no cause.
    The doctor can prescribe propanalol . A beta blocker which lowers adrenaline.

Some sports men used take them ie dart players oh needed accuracy.
    It might help

Yes seen propanalol might help thanks, will look in to that xxx

Have you tried progressive muscle relaxation? if you're holding a lot of tension in your body this can cause jerks. I sometimes get a jerky knee when I'm nervous, like an involuntary spasm x

Hi. I could've written this post myself as I used to have the exact same experience. It's definitely a manifestation of anxiety, most likely social anxiety. It got so bad for me before that I used to have to take a Xanax to go to the barbers, which was awful for my self-esteem. The only advice I can give is that it goes away once you get your social anxiety sorted out. It's a self-conscious issue.

i had the same issue omg. i actually managed to controll it. when im at the barber i just think about something else (like me running through a field of flowers i know it sounds stupid, and at the dentist i press my head against the seat (the shaking looks less like from social anxiety then )

Thread Information